Monday, January 14, 2013

"Frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing"


The semester, for me, starts today.  My first decision of the semester was one I will be sure not to recount to my children: I skipped a class.

Now, I want to look good for all my rebel friends and just leave it at that, but the honest part of me (which, like the Occupy Wallstreet targets, is the annoying 1% I wish I could overthrow) is urging me to tell you all that the class I skipped is one I’m dropping as soon as I get credit for my internship.  So I’m even less cool than you thought I was before the jump.

My hair is different.  Not all of you (an Umbridge hem hem to you, Derek) are on Facebook, so this is what it looks like.
These days it is a lot messier and less straight, but here's the general idea.
Speaking of Umbridge, I am nearly finished with my least favorite Harry Potter book.  It wasn’t as intolerable as I thought it would be; Dumbledore’s Army and a good Dumbledore quote (part of which is the title for this post) that came up in the comments section of Derek’s blog make it readable.  As do a host of H-Ron quotes that suggest their continued, secretive relationship lives on.  It doesn’t seem like anyone is as into the quotes as I am, so I’ll resist the temptation to include a sampling.

This semester, I’m taking on about three times as much as I ought to be.  My classes are:

Applied Calculus
Global Environmental Politics
Environmental Methods
Spanish Intermediate II

And I’m getting credit for my internship with ONE (15 hours/week), or that’s the hope anyway.  I am also serving as Treasurer in my fraternity, as Deputy Director of Sustainable Transportation in my school’s student government, and as a Sustainability Intern (“Green Eagle”) at my 5 hours/week job.  In short, I am anticipating being very busy.

Those of you with environmentally-related majors should consider checking out the NOAA Hollings scholarship.  It’s worth up to $16,000 dollars and a 10 week paid internship the summer between junior and senior year.  NOAA is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the internship’s with them and can take place anywhere in the country, and includes a housing subsidy if you aren’t near your home.  I’m applying for it, and it’s due at the end of the month.  Anyway, just thought I’d throw you a heads up.

That’s about it for me today.  I have Applied Calc at 4 today, and hopefully I am better at it than I think I will be, though I doubt we’ll do any math today.

Best,

Rachael

P.S. Eleanor found this and it's amazing!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I was interested in the HP quotes. In fact, I was a little disappointed that you omitted them here. Not really disappointed, just a little.

    Applied Calculus? That sounds scary. Good look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Applied Calc was not a voluntary class, but rather a requirement of Environmental Studies. I had it yesterday and his review encompassed everything I currently understand, and so I imagine next class he will move into things I have no understanding of.

    I will happily paste some here. This is a small sample of the 4 pages I have.

    Chamber of Secrets 272: “Harry took out his wand, murmured, ‘Lumos!’ and a tiny light appeared at the end of it, just enough to let them watch the path for signs of spiders.
    ‘Good thinking,’ said Ron. ‘I’d light mine, too, but you know, it’d probably blow up or something.’”

    Goblet of Fire 75: “Harry disentangled himself from Ron and got to his feet.”

    Goblet of Fire 608: “Tired of walking in on Harry, Hermione, and Ron all over the school, Professor McGonagall had given them permission to use the empty Transfiguration classroom at lunchtimes.”

    Order of the Phoenix 209: “‘Ow kunnit nofe skusin danger ifzat?’ said Ron.
    His mouth was so full Harry thought it was quite an achievement for him to make any noise at all.”

    Order of the Phoenix 541: “Harry lay panting on the floor, staring up at the ceiling, the scar on his forehead throbbing horribly. Ron was bending over him, looking very worried.”

    Also, if you are willing to go along with a ridiculously long quote, I like this quote about Ron and Harry's first time.
    Order of the Phoenix: 294: “Harry and Ron climbed through the portrait hole into the Gryffindor common room.
    ‘It was—’ Harry began.
    ‘Completely lousy,’ said Ron in a hollow voice, sinking into a chair beside Hermione. She looked up at Ron and her frostiness seemed to melt.
    ‘Well, it was only your first one,’ she said consolingly, ‘it’s bound to take time to—’
    ‘Who said it was me who made it lousy?’ snapped Ron.
    ‘No one,’ said Hermione, looking taken aback, ‘I thought—’
    ‘You thought I was bound to be rubbish?’
    ‘No, of course I didn’t! Look, you said it was lousy so I just—’
    ‘I’m going to get started on some homework,’ said Ron angrily and stomped off to the boys’ dormitories and vanished from sight. Hermione turned to Harry.
    ‘Was he lousy?’
    ‘No,’ said Harry loyally.
    Hermione raised her eyebrows.
    ‘Well, I suppose he could’ve played better,’ Harry muttered, ‘but it was only the first training session, like you said…’
    Neither Harry nor Ron seemed to make much headway with their homework that night. Harry knew Ron was too preoccupied with how badly he had performed”

    ReplyDelete