Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dobro Utro!


That means "Good Morning" in Bulgarian for those who were curious. It was the first thing I learned in my linear algebra and differential equations class today. I always enjoy the first day of class. It's perfect because it combines the awesomeness of learning with the absence of homework.  Now, having finished my class for the day, I no longer can say homework is absent from my agenda, but it seems manageable for now, as it always does early in the semester.

I'm really excited this semester because I have only 19 hours of class per week, a much needed improvement from last semester's schedule. Today I had my first lectures in three of my classes. The first you've already been foreshadowed to is my math class.  It seems to be my most promising class.  I really like the professor, a Bulgarian women with no fear of the sarcastic.  I'll keep you updated throughout the semester how it goes, and I'll try and leave out the complaining because I realize I do that a lot.

My second class (or rather the one I will tell you about secondly) is my first humanities class here at Berkeley.  Music 26AC is the title of the course.  AC stands for American Cultures.  The University thinks this stands for "let's appreciate the diversity of culture in America and see how it makes us unique and awesome," while the UC Berkeley students see this as "white people are bad."  Or so it is told. We mainly covered the syllabus in class today which was a waste of time in my opinion so I can yet confirm or deny this, but overall I'm excited for the class because it seems like it will be quite different from my other courses, a refreshing change of pace.

Third came ChemE 141 which is a class on thermodynamics.  This I think will be my hardest class just because the tone of the class is very...shall we say efficient?  I couldn't think of a better word and because I'm trying to stray from what perfectionist qualities I possess I will continue on writing and leave it at that.  Basically the professor expects you to stay on top of your shit consistently with absolutely no slippage.  We'll see how it goes.  It seems meh so far.

My fourth class, which I won't have until tomorrow is my second ChemE class.  ChemE 150A.  This is on transport phenomena.  I'm not exactly sure how that's going to translate in a class, but what I hear is basically think of fluids.  I'll report on it next week.  Actually, I just remembered next week I will be going to a Ducks vs. Sharks game so I probably won't get around to posting unless I post in the morning.  Hmm, maybe I'll do that.  Yeah, I think it's worth it. I'm trying to stay on top of this blog this semester because I am constantly reminded how awesome my high school friends are.

Rich and Ted (his friend from Reed) drove up to Portland and so they stopped in Berkeley on their way up to visit Kevin and I.  Needless to say it was a lot of fun.  I could go into all which we did, but I'm not one for laundry lists so I will refrain from doing so.  I can tell you though that we had a lot of coffee, which we mostly struck out on, and a lot of ice cream, which we for sure did not strike out on.  Three separate instances of high quality ice cream in 24 hours.

First, we went to Icii, an ice cream parlor known for its odd, yet delightful flavors.  I was boring and got dark chocolate, but Ted was adventuresome and tried the Banana Curry.  We followed that up with Ghirardelli sundaes in San Francisco.  Those were amazing to say the least.  Ghirardelli fudge.  To die for.  Our last stop was my favorite in more ways than one.  Upon recommendation from Posert senior we went to Smitten ice cream, also in SF, which turned out to be ice cream via liquid nitrogen.  Oh my lord how smooth and delicious this ice cream was.  Kevin and I both got chocolate (if you guys don't know about my chocolate vice I question our friendship) while Rich and Ted went with the salted caramel.  Both flavors were superb.

Hmm, what else is going on in my life.  I'm almost done with Dune so I'll return that to you, Derek, when I see you over...Summer :(  Also you still have my charger, I was too lazy to go get it.  If you are sad there are no pictures in this post and that is all words I am sorry.  I take the opinion that I would rather experience something fully before I take time to remove myself from the experience to photograph it.

I'm excited to be back in school, but it's definitely sobering having to admit to myself that I won't see all of you for a very long time.  I don't think I have anything else to talk about in my life so I'm going to sign off now.  I'll talk to you all next week.

Loveums,

Jason

2 comments:

  1. Your semester looks tough, as always. Good luck, champ. And have fun at the Ducks game that is making me oh so jealous. I'm curious to see how much you learn about hockey between now and when I next see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I think you're awesome too. Can I visit Berkeley in May? Thanks bye.

    Sounds like a busy schedule! Me, too. Overachievers unite! Your classes are definitely harder than mine, though.

    Hope your week's going well.

    ReplyDelete