Friday, January 25, 2013

The South Will Rise Again

Look at how pissed off all the fans are. I love it.
A Duck in all four categories.
The NHL is back, and so are the Ducks, in a big way. Anaheim is 2-0 on the young season, and LA is 0-2-1. If you can't decipher the meaning of these numbers, you ought to know that A) You're an adult now and the rock you've been living under all your life is going to expect some rent pretty soon, B) The Ducks are doing really well and the Kings are doing the exact opposite of that, and C) That is a good thing. Teemu Selanne, 42, had a four point in the season opener against Vancouver, making him the oldest player to score four points in a game since Gordie Howe did it more than thirty years ago.

I'm including the stats chart on the left because I want it to be known forever and ever that, at one point in his life, Daniel Winnik led the entire NHL in goal scoring. Well, he shared the lead with Marian Hossa, I guess, but seeing as Winnik is known for being a third-line grinder and Hossa is known for being an all-star sniper, I think that's good enough.

49 NHL games have taken place since the season began, so you can estimate that somewhere around 250 goals have been scored, and I can confidently say that, at this point in the season, I have seen every single one of them, either because I was watching the game when it happened, or because I went back to watch highlights.

SKFJBASKJOFBAWPIUAS;ILGVAWERL!!!!!!!!!
I suppose I could start talking about stuff that you guys won't necessarily skip over. How about my class? I'm glad you asked. It's been, as always, fantastic. There are so many good writers in my class, so when we share our five-minute compositions, it's always a joy to listen.

Guys, it's pretty cold here. See that little weather box to the right? I took that screenshot walking back from practice in the morning. I'm glad I don't know what the temperature was when I walked down to practice at 7:45. The temperature's been so cold that we're not allowed to run outside because inhaling air that's that cold is bad for your lungs or something like that. So for the first time in my life I've worked out on a treadmill and on the stationary bike in the gym. They both suck. They really, really suck. I am not a fan of trying to move but not actually moving.

I've been wearing long underwear under my jeans, and a long-sleeve T-shirt under my sweatshirt under my snow jacket, and I've still been miserably cold. Think about it. That's 40˚F colder than freezing. Forty! Think about how much colder 30˚ feels than 70˚; that's how much colder -8˚ feels than 32˚.

This was me.
Yesterday, two people told me I made an appearance in their dreams. Apparently I was pulling a Spongebob, visiting everyone's nighttime subconscious. Kate dreamed she was at a party, and so was I, and I don't know if she was dancing with me or what but she ended up breaking off both my hands. As in, my hands came off of my wrists. She thought it was really funny, but everyone else at the party got mad at her, or something like that.
In Jack's dream (not ex-roommate Jack; XC guy Jack), we were in California and some guy came up to him and said, "Dude, wanna buy a sandwhich?" Jack said no, and the guy asked another question: "Okay, well, do you know the score of the Ducks game?" Jack said no again, but he pointed to me and said, "That guy would know." So this random guy walks up to me and says, "Dude, wanna buy a sandwhich?" (I imagine his voice to be like the surfer dude's in Spongebob) and apparently I said, "Dude, we went to high school together. You know me."
So I felt pretty popular yesterday.

One of my best friends, a mid-distance track guy from Atlanta named David, lives right next to me, and is awesome pretty much all of the time.
Exhibit A: He did ROTC last semester and had a bunch of awesome army gear.
Exhibit B: He took a hunting workshop this J-term and earned his hunting license.
Exhibit C: He has a collection of throwing knifes and knows how to use them.
Exhibit D: He's a history major and knows a lot more about history than I do, and I know you guys think I'm pretty up on my history, but trust me when I say this guy knows it all.
Exhibit E: He refers to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression and describes himself as 'unreconstructed'. (Note to indignant progressives reading this blog: David supported Obama, so you should like him better than me, regardless of his Southern pride.)
Exhibit F: When he was in high school, he chopped down a few trees when he got frustrated and needed an outlet. Once, he misjudged his swing and buried the hatchet in his own leg. The scar is kinda badass.
Exhibit G: He says 'y'all' and it sound completely natural.
Exhibit H: He built a sled this week. I mean, he literally got a bunch of wood and screws and nails and built a sled. That's what these pictures are of. David and his sled.
Exhibit I: Everyone describes him as the nicest person they know. He's one of those kids who sometimes you just have to get mad at because he's that nice. Almost like Jimmy Roney, you know? Gigantic kid, could crush you between his two littlest toes, but wouldn't hurt a proverbial fly.
Exhibit J: I've convinced him to start reading The Name of the Wind. He's only a few chapters in, but he likes it so far. Oh, David. Just you wait.

I get to see this guy run. Pretty cool, eh?
Tonight, I'm getting on a Boston-bound bus with David, Chuck, and the rest of the track team. We're racing at BU tomorrow, and so is Galen Rupp. Rupp, for your information, won the silver medal in the Olympic 10k in London last summer. Yeah, and he's racing at this meet. It will definitely be the fastest mile I've ever seen live. 3:50-something. Wow.

Hey Raku, you live near Boston. Wanna say hi? I'll text you tomorrow.

Alright, I should probably go run now.

2 comments:

  1. I know what the numbers mean. You're supposed to multiply them to determine how much hockey matters to everyone besides Derek Satterfield. I still read it, though, because you matter.

    It got down to 16 here and I was going to say something, but now I am not.

    I wish your friend would wear more clothing when working with saws! Is no one else concerned by that? Or at least goggles? Anyway he sounds as cool as a hunting, knife-throwing, anti-Unionist can. And our politics must line up somewhere if he likes Obama. I'm curious about the ways in which he is un-reconstructed, if he actually knows history, since those were the amendments that got rid of slavery and let people vote and all.

    Eww, track. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw, he does this stuff a lot; he'll be fine. The shirtlessness is because it gets sweaty.
    No, he definitely knows his history. He also just happens to have a lot of Southern pride, that's all.
    Eww track, yeah, I know. It kinda sucks. I'm really only in it because they do our laundry.
    Also: Nobody text me anytime soon, because I don't have a phone right now.

    ReplyDelete