Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Everybody Loves a Winner

Good morning all, and sorry for encroaching on Jason's day.  Finals week has a way of taking up all my time.  I have spent the last few days either in a test, studying for a test, or taking a break from studying.


My friends and I saw Cabaret over the weekend, where the title comes from.  For your listening pleasure during this post is the Glee version of "Maybe This Time," because I couldn't find another version I liked in less than two minutes.


I'm on the fourth Harry Potter book now, still collecting my H-Ron quotes, as I'm calling them.  There's quite a lexicon now.  My favorite Dumbly quote so far from Chamber of Secrets: "I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me... Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it," but I remember some really good ones in the later books that I haven't reread yet, particularly Half-Blood Prince.

 I just found out last night that I got the internship I applied for with the ONE Campaign.  It was very exciting news.  Maggie and my dad were the most excited out of anyone I talked to; Maggie had already bought two ONE bracelets in support/anticipation.  It will be exciting working against the Derekesqe cynicism (understandable, given KONY 2012 and other miserably-handled "NGO"s) of the world.  I think the ONE Campaign has done really good stuff, and their 3 million members are asked to give their voice, not their money.  So hopefully everyone's on board with this career move, haha.

Ice skating a couple weeks ago was so fun.  I really do want to go at the Spectrum when I come home in FOUR DAYS.

I really liked Derek's post about Chuck.  I've been thinking about it a lot.  Maybe I'll highlight one of my friends sometime.  I've talked a lot about  Eleanor, but I also really like Lizzy, another of my friends.  Maybe sometime I'll talk about her.  There's no one I'm a unit with here in the same way as ChuckandDerek are, except Eleanor and I do everything together as roommates.  She just published an article in a school magazine that she's an editor for, readable online here.  It's a really interesting article about a university that closed in D.C. and why colleges close around the country.

So next semester I will be the treasurer of my fraternity, have a 15 hour/week internship, a 5 hour/week job, and 4 classes, including Applied Calculus and a high level Spanish.  I may not survive till the summer, so enjoy your time with me over the break.

Last night while taking a rather long study break, I re-watched a movie called Dakota Skye which I'm pretty sure I've talked about before.  It's a really low budget independent movie about a girl who can tell when people are lying and therefore is a big cynic, until surprise! her boyfriend's best friend from out of town never lies.  And then surprise! complications ensue.  Anyway, it is a cute movie despite its predictability.  I think you guys would probably hate it, but I liked it.

This is my last D.C. post for the calendar year and I want to remind you guys that I really care about you still, even though we don't go to school together and blah blah, and I would really like to see you over break.  Be there or be a equi-sided parallelogram.

-Rachael

P.S.: Chamber of Secrets page 272

“Harry took out his wand, murmured, ‘Lumos!’ and a tiny light appeared at the end of it, just enough to let them watch the path for signs of spiders.

‘Good thinking,’ said Ron. ‘I’d light mine, too, but you know, it’d probably blow up or something.’”

11 comments:

  1. "I remember some really good ones in the later books that I haven't reread yet, particularly Half-Blood Prince."
    Yep, my favorite Dumbledore quote in the series, maybe my favorite quote from anyone ever, is in that book.

    Congrats on the ONE campaign. I'm excited that at least one of us is already involved in what s/he's passionate about, outside of taking classes about it.

    Hmmm. I wonder if that character who detects lies can distinguish between lies and sarcasm. I'm imagining that person meeting me and getting the red flag every few seconds because I'm saying things that are untrue, despite the fact that I intend her to understand that they're not true.

    Can't wait to see you soon, and go ice skating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which one is that? Mine is when they're in the water together and Dumbledore says, "I am not worried, Harry. I am with you." Something about that quote gets me every time.

    Thank you for the congratulations. Hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be.

    Sarcasm doesn't fall into that. The way the movie is set up is that there are subtitles revealing what the speaker actually means, but I guess sarcasm doesn't fall under that for the very reason you mentioned, "I intend her to understand that they're not true."

    Thank you, and same to you-- you won't be in CA until the end of December, though, right? What day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm home in three days. I will live at cha and await your arrival.

    Also, congrats.

    Also, I'm not joking, let's hang asap, we have too much to catch up on. And by too much I mean there will not be a moment of silence where we won't have something to share because that's just how chates are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the last line of the chapter that immediately precedes the chapter which contains the Dumbledore line" You are with me", which is of course the setup for the line you picked as your favorite. It also sits right below my senior picture in our yearbook.

    Not sure which day I'll be back yet. Probably right before Christmas. The better the snow is, the longer we'll stay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gonna happen, happen sometime

    I just wanted to thank you for linking to my article, even 1 more reader seems to me a huge spike in readership! Hooray and thank you.

    And hi to Derek! As Rachael's roommate who reads the blog only on Rachael's days, sometimes she guides me towards other posts, like the highly interesting derekandchuck post, which sparked a conversation about some of Rachael's awesome California friends. To you (all): I would love to go to cha and meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you imagine meeting us at cha. Life goal complete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eleanor! Perhaps one day you will grace us with your presence at Cha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I talk it up too often for her not to. If it were any less good, I would worry about over-hyping it. But it's Cha. No better $5 drink is to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be the judge of that Derek!

    No,yeah, it's debatable.

    ReplyDelete