Friday, December 21, 2012

The Hobbit


I am about half way through the book and so far I like it.  It's quite an enjoyable bedtime story.  Very linear in it's progression I feel, but nothing to be scoffed at.  The movie was interesting to say the least.  I thought it was a good movie, but an embellished form of the original story would be putting it lightly. I'm writing this post for two reasons. First, I haven't talked to you guys in a while and I wanted to.  And if anyone has a problem with me posting on today rather than Tuesday well Rothfuss you. (Hoping for a smirk at least?) Second, I'm waiting for my laundry to be done and I'm finding an outlet for the time I could spend playing video games, which I am trying to cease doing.

Why the Hobbit you may ask? I liked the quote from the movie, "All good stories deserve embellishing." I went on a search through the interwebs (insert anecdote here about how I had a conversation with Nicole's parents regarding the use of the word interwebs in today's society and its relation to age of the speaker) to see if it was purely from the movie (which I believed it was) or perhaps from both book and movie and I had just passed over it without committing it to memory.  I was stopped in my search by something that you can either find amusing or frustrating.  I find it frustrating so I don't know why I'm dwelling upon it, much less writing on it, but regardless I'm going to share it with you.  Quickly I might add, because I'm going to shower and change my laundry soon.

I found some stories trying to relate gender-role arguments to the Hobbit... No... Just no... I think it's one of my pet peeves when people go fishing for arguments that do not belong.  This is one of these cases. First, I read this which caught my eye because it was titled, "The Hobbit: A Gender-Bending Journey."  WHAT. I did just rewatch all three seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I don't think it was my "bending" craze that made me double-take.  Gender-Bending? Really?  It only gets better when she references, "Gandalf, a gender fluid wizard."  I don't even know what that means.

My search continued where I stumbled upon (not actually "stumbled upon" har har) this which is amusing just for the quote, "'The Hobbit' was a fine book meant to be read by those who have yet been cultured by the far superior Harry Potter series."  If reading the Harry Potter series made you "cultured" I am scared for the future of this world (which continues surprise surprise no Mayan apocalypse). Well I need to go now, but I guess what I'm wondering is do you, like me, get really peeved when people try and go searching for arguments that aren't there.  Bleh, it really bugs me.  Well, hope everyone is having a good break, I'll be back with an actual post on my regular day next week.

Loveums,

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment