Friday, March 22, 2013

Go West, Young Man

Currently typing this in LAX. Waiting to connect to San Diego. Yeah. Burlington to Newark to LA to San Diego. Pretty dumb, right? Although I am pleased that LAX has free WiFi. Can't say the same about Chicago.

Also, I just had a mediocre burrito from the Baja Fresh in the airport, and I have never enjoyed a mediocre burrito that much in my life. Guys, Vermont is not the place to be if you like Mexican food. Just in case I haven't already told you that 104 times.

Let's see here. Last week . . . Hmmm. I had a lot of work. Midterms, y'know? Three papers and and exam, to be precise. One paper on the differing perspectives of Israelis and Palestinians on the question of Jerusalem, one paper on the relationship between the Wife of Bath's Tale and the Clerk's Tale in Chaucer, one paper on how the hero's violence is portrayed in three old Western movies, "Stagecoach", "Shane", and "The Searchers", and one exam on European geopolitics.

Note on those three movies: Never ever watch the first two. They're way too slow and way too boring. But "The Searchers" was actually pretty good. Slow, but good.

Wednesday' Geopolitics of the Middle East screening was a series of interviews with failed Palestinian martyrs. Most of them ended up not becoming martyrs because when they were about to blow themselves up, they noticed something like kids playing soccer in the field next to them, or a nice old couple sitting behind them on the bus that they planned to blow up, and they decided they couldn't go through with it. One of them, a 17 year old (yes, most are teenagers or in their early 20s), tried to do it, but when he pressed the button nothing happened. A wire had failed, or something like that. So the Israeli police arrested him. Anyway, that was one of the most chilling things I had ever watched on TV.

My picture of the Little Colorado.
We've now moved on to Much Ado About Nothing, which isn't bad at all. Full review pending. I can, however, give my review of The Canterbury Tales, and it goes like this: pretty, pretty, pretty good. The Pardoner's Tale and the Nun's Priest's Tale were probably my two favorites.

I finished my last paper around really late o'clock last night, so I ended up never going to bed because my van to the airport left at 3:15 am this morning. I did sleep a bit on each of the first two legs of my flight schedule, which is something I don't normally do. So that was nice. I did wake up in time to see some awesome mountains and canyons in the Four Corners states. Looked like the places where "The Searchers" was filmed. Unfortunately, I think the people on the other side of the plane got to see the Grand Canyon, but I didn't. I did get to see the Little Colorado Canyon, though, which I have never been to before. I took a picture, but trust me, it's a lot bigger and deeper than it looks in my picture. Let me Google it to give you a better idea. Anyway, cool canyon. I want to go there. Capiche?
Google's picture #1.
Google's picture #2.
Tomorrow I get to see Sandy. And my human family, I guess. But mostly Sandy.

Alrighty. That's about it. Gotta get on a plane pretty soon. Expect a really short post, if there is one at all, next Friday. 'Cause Spring Break and track and San Diego.

2 comments:

  1. No other way to get this to you but here.

    http://static.neatorama.com/images/2013-03/timeline-of-the-one-ring.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Obviously, I love it.

    ReplyDelete