Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hello. Jason here,

But I guess you probably already know me, sort of...

If anyone gets that reference my love for you has doubled. So I'm back, typing this on my phone during my 12-1pm Monday break between classes. I was studying for the quiz I am going to have in my 1-2pm discussion, but I realized two things. First, I already know what material the quiz will cover and I know that material well enough. Second, I thought this would be a good time to start my post because I thought of something to talk about.

So you might (not) be asking yourself, "How does Jason know what material is going to be on the quiz?" Well, earlier this morning I was told that we had a quiz in section that was on so and so. Now, the quizzes due vary throughout the sections, but this greatly narrowed the possible topics the quiz could have covered. So I sat down and studied that topic and I now feel like I'll probably ace this quiz.
The thought that was blog-worthy was whether or not this is cheating on my part.

Technically I now have an unfair advantage over all who a) do not know there is a quiz today (it's technically a pop quiz, though if you didn't expect one today for this particular class I feel I have enough concrete evidence to prove you daft) and b) do not know the exact quiz material. Now before I continue on in my analysis of this, I would like to further elaborate on how much of an advantage I have on this quiz because without details this leaves much left open.

Instead of talking about obeying continuity and applying the Navier-Stokes equation to fluids with given velocity fields, I'll substitute in something more...elementary. Your welcome Derek. I don't know why I specify you there, but I didn't take part in hate on Derek last week so I might as well bandwagon now. Imagine you are told, "There might be a pop quiz in which you are asked to analyze civil rights trends during post WWII era." Now that covers a finite amount of information that seems reasonable to quiz over. My advantage would be the equivalent of knowing the question is, "Analyze the trends in women's rights after WWII." So I have an advantage, but none that a well-prepared student could not overcome.

So I am left to question whether or not I am cheating on this quiz. Should I have plugged my ears when the people around me were talking about it? Should I have asked them to stop in the interest of academic integrity? Sticky situations are appropriately named for how decisions seem to formulate at the velocity of molasses flow. Velocity flow rate analogies. Just another example of how ChemE has taken over my life. Ok well I'm off to take the quiz now. Bye.


1 comment:

  1. It's ironic that you suggested Derek needed an elementary version of your Mr. Smarty Pants science, then used the wrong "your" in you're welcome. At least Derek can be assured that he has you at grammar even if you can science the pants off of us liberal arts freaks.

    I hope the quiz went well and you were only cheating if you think you were cheating.

    ReplyDelete