Tuesday, March 5, 2013

We closed our eyes and enjoyed the view

Phew so an actual blog post for once. Or so I hope.

I'm sitting at a table at FSM (free speech movement cafe) outside, not as cold as I would normally be due to my new Northface jacket, composing this whilst eating my lunch (pictured below). It's 12:30pm now and I have class at 1pm so this will only be the start of the post, but I hope to make some headway.
Today has been a good day. I missed 8am math discussion, which, although slightly detracting from today, has left me one hour more rested than I would've been, and as such I cannot complain. I proceeded to go to my thermo discussion in which I absolutely destroyed a quiz on rankine cycles. In addition (I'm also listening to my "running" playlist right now on my shuffle and IDGAF just came on so yay Nicole for getting me to listen to music I already knew existed) I turned in my quiz to see the previous person had filled in only 1/3 of their paper. So that made me feel better. Doing better than people always makes one feel better. Don't tell Cole this though, he'll probably disagree.

Then, still on my high from thermo, I went to my fluid flow lecture where I was reminded that normal people don't have notebooks that look like this:


If you perused (the right definition!) that picture you probably noticed how at the end my equations became mere lines for lack of dedication to the intricacies of microscopic linear momentum balance.

So, having been sufficiently confused by that lecture, I moved on to my music discussion which, as I've hinted before, is quite reminiscent of 9th grade English. "What, you have the opportunity to improve your writing skills exponentially which you will sequentially completely lose only to regain them in another three years?" You ask. No. I get to sit in a silent room enjoying the company of leg violinists.

The redeeming quality of going to this music discussion is that I got my midterm back! 90%! Now, considering the unexpected difficulty of this test I was extremely happy with this grade. Especially so because I realized too late that I can't switch to Pass/Not Pass if I so desire. College of Chem (the one I'm in) is so cool and gives us only five weeks instead of the rest of the university's ten to figure out if we want to P/NP the class instead of a grade option. Lame. But now I have a chance at getting that A- or A I'm shooting for. Woo!

Ok I'm back from class now. Or rather it is 7 hours later (on Monday I might add, because I'm editing this on Tuesday and I realize this could be confusing as a narrative due to the time it will be posted).  I was just talking to my friend and he related something rather distressing. Apparently his gsi accused 20% of the discussion of cheating with a result in a two letter grade drop from all accused. Now, for my friend who did not cheat, this is quite the injustice. By the way this is for a computer science course so the justification for cheating is "similar code" which in my opinion is bullshit. Hopefully this gets figured out.

Well I'm pretty much out of ideas on what to write. I think I go through phases of creativity because this morning I was full of them and now I am experiencing a lack thereof.  It looks like this turned out as a semi-real post because it is longer than a Haiku, but still shorter than ideal. And if you came only for the depressing Haiku then I guess I will entertain you by thinking of one right now. Here you go:

Swaying in the breeze,
Without a care in the world.
The rope is drawn taut.

I swear I'm okay guys haha, these just come easy to me for some reason.  And to all who are like, "BLERGH YOU AREN'T FOLLOWING ACTUAL HAIKU FORM" I do not apologize because this is how I first learned to write them and the first thing you learn is always the truth.

I'll see you later my fellow stork offspring,

Jason

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the real blog post. This is a big step for you, and you've done well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the food shot. Looks yummy and healthy.

    Why would Cole disagree, I thought his thing was asking for your score/telling you his score in the hopes it's higher than yours. And yes, your notebook shows you are much science-y-er than me. I use the delta symbol for change, but it's usually in relation to something entirely humanities oriented. Or it's calc class and I'm miserable.

    Please explain to me what leg violinists are. And why your haiku isn't in proper form.

    Also you're smart and please cure cancer instead of working for an oil company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A) It was sarcasm lost through the nature of written communication.
    B) Crickets.
    C) You could be picky and say that traditional Haiku doesn't use syllables, but phonetic sounds (On) and as such some of the words aren't counted correctly. For example, "world" would be arguably two sounds but one syllable.
    D) Trust me I would much rather cure cancer than work for an oil company. I probably won't be doing either though so don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: "Why would Cole disagree"

    Oh, come on. Derek's portrayal of me still holds more weight around here than actual me? As if seeing someone do poorly on a quiz has ever made me feel good. Again, come on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only if Derek embraces the caricature of a personality I perpetuate for him. Oh wait, I don't do that, so he can't.

    ReplyDelete