Thursday, February 13, 2014

I just lost a pint of blood.

HAHAHA BECAUSE I DONATED BLOOD TODAY.



Hey guys, no time for a video today, sorry.  My thursdays are usually empty but today is mad full, as you'll seeeeeeeeeeLET'SGO

Friday:

Wait what the hell was--oh YEAH!  So it snowed from Thursday while I was making my video to like Sunday evening.  On Friday, because PDX has no snow infrastructure, the roads were really dangerous.  Reed sent out an email like "Hey, we're still open" but Portland was like "Please stay inside, it is dangerous".  No joke, the city sent out an email to tell people not to drive.

Anyway I have one class on Friday, and that professor was like "LOL not driving" (also through email) so Friday was essentially a weekend for me.  I don't even remember what I did.  Sat in bed watching TV until 10:00, ate some food, then played video games and hung out till friends were out of class.  Then We (Why did I capitalize that?  Boy I should just make videos) went to thai food!  Yum.

Saturday:

Okay on Saturday I just...wait...was Friday...oh no never mind it was on Saturday.

On Saturday I got up early (GODDAMN IT I GO TO THE GYM IN THE MORNINGS NOW SO I CAN'T SLEEP IN AT ALL ANYMORE) to an email saying that since the roads on the way up to where we go skiing are the most dangerous stretches of highway in Oregon, and there had been crazy snow all night, we wouldn't be able to go skiing.

That's right.

Cross country skiing got cancelled because of snow.

Skiing.  Cancelled.  Snow.

Anyway that opened up Saturday, so I got food and then read books and drank tea until dinner time, where I ran into a new group of friends I'm intercalating myself into and they were like "Are you going to the dance tonight? Do you want to pregame?" and I was like sure so that's what I did.

Then as I was white-guy dancing my way across the floor this girl comes up to me and goes "Were you in Shoestring?" and I was like "Yeah, sorry I let it fall apart haha." then she was like "OMG no I loved you in Midnight [show I was in]!  I was in Lisa's show!"

(Lisa Henderson is one of the reasons that club fell apart (in my opinion) and someone I really didn't get along with for reasons beyond my usual level of abrasive personality.  Back to the girl.)

"Do you want a kiss?"

It was loud in the student union; I didn't hear her.

"What?"
"Do you want a kiss?"

Because I had just dedicated all of my brain to Lisa Henderson when she suggested a kiss, I just blurted out "N-no, I'm good." (word-for-stuttering-word) and 'danced' out the door.  After taking a few seconds to collect myself, I realized that that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever done, and laughed.  I spent the last bit of the night with one of my friends telling dad jokes to a bunch of beautiful women.  It was a pretty good one.

Sunday:

On Sunday I did some work on a biochem report, then spent quite a while laying the groundwork for lumberjack club, putting up posters, etc.  I helped Ryan put on a big spaghetti dinner, then played some Dark Souls.

Monday:

Went to the gym, went to class, did a ton of work.  Nothing too interesting.

Tuesday:

Went to the gym, went to class, did a ton of work.  In fact, by this point I had finished, ahead of time, all of my work for the rest of the week.

I have biochem lab on Tuesdays.  I'm really enjoying that class.  It's not too much work (just a half unit, that is to say, worth half as much as a lecture/lab or lecture/conference class) and basically everyone in the lab is friends with everyone else, so it's just a huge party.  Even our really old professor joins in the jokes.  I love it.

Wednesday:

Jeez man it's nice not having work.  I lead conference on Darwin's Origin of Species, so it was cool to hear how people who don't think they understand evolution or biology like...reason it together from reading Darwin.  Since it's just kind of part of my internal logic at all times, hearing it reasoned out felt like learning it again.  I don't know how to describe it exactly, just was fun.

I went to cell lab, where my partner and I blew through the first half, but FORGOT TO START SOMETHING THAT HAS TO INCUBATE FOR AN HOUR so we had to come back toward the end to finish.  Wasn't that bad.

Today:

I got to shoot the shit with my metabolic biochem professor, and both of us talked about what a horrible class intro chem was.  After I had called it a "nightmare" I remembered that she was one of my intro chem professors.  Good thing she has a good sense of humor/knew I was serious what I said it wasn't any fault of the professors that intro sciences are awful here.

After I got out of class, I played some basketball with my summer lab bros (ate shit several times b/c the courts were still wet) then donated blood.  In 30 minutes I'm going to that meeting I mentioned last week about my chem qual.  Then I get to lead conference on one of my favorite topics in biology, RNAi.

I've had a great, great week.  Hope you have too.

-Rich

1 comment:

  1. Love the Saturday story. Glad you had a great, great week. It might not matter when you don't do a video, because I can't read your posts in any other way but by imagining you talking/yelling them to me.

    ReplyDelete