Monday, April 30, 2012

He sounds more sincere than that when he lies.

Thanks to the wonders of technology, the majority of my post just got deleted. So you get the short version.
I saw Eliot Spitzer, former governor of New York best known for making a bad investment, give a talk on Thursday about government regulation of the economy. He is definitely a politician, and would probably be in Slytherin were he to be sorted. Which leads me to the following.
Rachael wants me to talk about sorting and choosing a major. Which are kinda similar, in a way, maybe, if you think about it.
So last week (or some recent week, I don't really know) I log on to Pottermore, get sorted into Gryffindor, and never go on the site again. Not because I got Gryffindored; the site's just . . . really boring. And now let's talk a little bit about houses.
When I was first reading the Harry Potter books, I always thought of myself as more Ravenclaw than anything else. I also thought that Slytherin would be my number two, then, reluctantly, Gryffindor followed up by Hufflepuff. I thought Hufflepuff was pretty useless. Since then, my opinions have changed quite a bit. I definitely consider Slytherin to be the last house I would ever be in, but once you remove that, the other three become something of a toss-up. I guess the bottom line is that I'd really be okay with Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw. I think I'd make the most friends in Ravenclaw, I think I would find the most like-minded people in Hufflepuff, and I think I possess some Gryffindor attributes. Yep. That's pretty much it.
In terms of choosing a major, well, I definitely haven't declared yet, but I'm considering three departments: Geography, History, and English and American Literatures. I can combine the three departments in either of the following ways:
 - joint-majoring in two of them and minoring in the other one
 - majoring in one of them and minoring in each of the other two
Or I can combine any two of those departments like so, dropping the third:
 - double-majoring in two of them
 - joint-majoring in two of them
 - majoring in one of them and minoring in one of them
Or, if my ambition wanes:
 - majoring in one of them

On a completely unrelated note, this is somewhat interesting and probably worth at least six seconds of your life, no more than thirty-three though.

On Friday I got on a bus that went to Bates where, on Saturday, I watched my teammates compete at NESCACs. Nicole was there. On the bus ride up and the ride back we watched Shawshank and the Dark Knight. Yay Morgan Freeman. I bought two PayDay bars at the hotel vending machine, which spat back dollar coins with Andrew Johnson on them. One of our guys won both the 10k and the 5k, closing out the latter with a 2:01 800.
I'm not going to go into any more detail about any of that because I already did, and all those words decided to jump into the netherworld and I am consequently not in a very good mood. I am not going to apologize for the brevity of this post because it isn't my fault and I'm more angry about it than you are anyway.

Go 'Yotes.

B
Quiz.
A
C

4 comments:

  1. I just want to get the first comment again, I'll read your post later.

    Wanted to say that I just spilled my drink, cut my thumb, and did not find a saltshaker within easy reach in the last minute. Needless to say I hate life.

    I bring this up because your title cheered me up. Just thought you should know.

    Lovesies,
    ~Sim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, looking at the wikipedia article of Spitzer, it seems like he made many bad investments.

    I agree about Pottermore. I WANT to like it, since it has behind-the-scenes stuff and all, but I found it kind of dreadful. An impressive amount of work with a mediocre result.

    My analysis of the houses isn't as in depth as you, but I would definitely say that I would get along with Ravenclaws the best, not least of all because I would identify most of my friends from high school (read: my really good friends) as Ravenclaws. I think in college terms, Hufflepuffs would be the sociable, nice/popular partiers, and I just don't have the patience for those people. I know that's a totally unfair analysis of Hufflepuff, but oh well.

    Interesting major options. Does that mean you want to be a teacher/professor? Or where do you plan on applying those majors, I guess I'm asking. Not in a mean way.

    Sorry about your technology fail. That has happened to me before (albeit only in the comments section). I recommend a word document, then uploading it here. Your call though, you have your life together.

    Should I even bother guessing those pictures? The first is Rome, the second is Las Vegas, and the third is Iraq. No shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I improved your day, Sim.

    No, I don't think I'm going to be a teacher. But I still might. I'm thinking more GIS-related jobs, but that depends on how much I like GIS, which I haven't taken yet. But Derek, what's GIS? Well, Wikipedia probably knows more about it than I do, so I don't see why you haven't opened a new tab yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I check Wiki, I'm going to guess it's "Geographic Information Systems".

    Bam. Confirmation. (well, it says "system", rather than the plural form, but whatever.)

    I only know that because my Enviro Studies major has a GIS-related class that I taking a communications class in stead of. Yes, I just made instead two words, because that (may) be the proper way to say what I want to say.

    ReplyDelete