Monday, September 30, 2013

I'm So Tired

Once again, I find myself confronted with the realization that, throughout the week, I make mental notes to write things down here on Monday, but I cannot remember them. What I ought to do is actually write them down once they happen, but I don't.

It is past 11pm and I want to go to bed. I've put in a lot of work today, most recently writing a response to a couple of pieces I read for creative writing. That class is alright. We get to read all sorts of wonderful things, but we don't write that much. Not yet, at least. When I took a creative writing class last J-term, we wrote small things every day.
What we do do everyday is workshop things that classmates have written. Some are very good, a couple are not good, and most are in between. Last week we workshopped two pieces in particular that were very, very, very impressive.

GIS is picking up. We're doing very exciting — to me — things now. We're done with Idrisi and have now moved into ArcMap. That is probably meaningless to most or all of you. That's okay. When I have more time and energy, I'll talk more about it. One of these weeks.

I have geology lab on Wednesday afternoon. Last week we took a field trip to Crown Point in upstate New York and looked at cool rocks and fossils. Crown Point is the site of the world's oldest coral reef fossils, I think. Our professor said, "These are the oldest coral reef fossils." She didn't say "in the world", but I think that's what she meant. Anyway, I looked at 460 million year old fossils on Wednesday. Strange to think that those rocks have been there for almost half a billion years, but Lake Champlain, which laps at them every day, is only 12 thousand years old. If those rocks blink, they'd miss the lake completely.
I took a coupla pictures. Photography is a useful skill. I wish I was better at it. I just point and click.
Use it well, Nicole.

I reviewed a very interesting historical atlas of Arizona for my historical geography class last week. I'd talk more about that, but I want to go to bed.

I raced at Williams on Saturday. I'd talk more about that, but I want to go to bed.

The NHL regular season starts tomorrow, and the Ducks play their first game on Wednesday. Safe to say that my academic and athletic performance will both decline as a result of this development. Also safe to say that that's worth it.


3 comments:

  1. 1. ArcMap is my old nemesis because my professor never truly taught the class how to use it but would assign these LONG ARDUOUS GRUELING assignments where we had to use the application. But I bet you know how to use it, so how do you like it? Also, what specifically are you using it for?

    2. That fossil story is pretty cool. Those are old fossils.

    3. Those photos are pretty cool. I like the bridge.

    4. How about that government shut down, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm still learning it, so it's not easy. I do enjoy it, though. It's satisfying when you get it right. Our first problem was finding all the places in the Adirondack high peaks that could be potential campsites, so they had to meet five or so different criteria, e.g. relatively flat ground (<15% grade), southern exposure for sunlight, within 100m of a trail, and views of at least five 4k ft mountains. There were some more, but I forget right now. Basic stuff, but next week it's getting (somewhat) serious. We have to make a presentable map of the 'dacks with all those campsites and some other stuff.
    2. Yeah.
    3. Yeah.
    4. Well, I can't log onto some government sites that I was going to use for a cartography project in a different class (not GIS). So that's a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The government shutdown is really annoying. It's definitely affected my NOAA scholarship process. I'll forgive everyone if they've got it fixed by the end of the month; otherwise, my stipend will be postponed. That would make things personal.

    ReplyDelete