Friday, November 22, 2013

Internationally Domestic This Week

Hello, friends.

For the first time in about a month, I'm spending an entire weekend in Madrid!  How nice.  Sorry I missed last week's post; I was in Denmark, which complicated things.

I wish it wasn't 12:25 AM and that I could fully outline the last two weeks with the amount of detail they deserve.  Instead, I'm giving you a video that Patrick Rothfuss shared on Facebook, and then I shared it.  And after you watch it (please, watch it, you will like it, or maybe.), I will give you a couple more life details.  Then I will sleep.


Also, I wonder-- would you boys have read Name of the Wind if it was written by Patricia Rothfuss and about a Kvothette?  I am currently reading a book that argues that you wouldn't have.  Just a thought.  The question is rhetorical, but feel free to answer it anyway.

Back to my life.  On Thursday, I skipped class because I had somewhat of a "late in semester" crisis about not getting to see all the things I need to see while in Madrid.  So first, I slept an extra two hours, because I deserved it, and then I got up and had a productive morning, before jutting off to revisit the Prado, which was fantastic as always.

During my productive morning, I convened with Shane, who will be visiting in less than two weeks-- using the money he's earned over the past couple months, he's coming to Madrid for a weekend and then we're doing a week in Italy.  The flight was cheaper for him to fly into Madrid and out of Rome, for whatever reason, so that added a couple of days to his trip for almost no moneys (since he can stay with me).  So Madrid, then flight to Pisa for an afternoon to see the Tower, then train to Venice.  We'll be there for two and a half days before we meet up with my friends in Florence.  Two days each in Florence and Rome before the two of us fly home on the 16th of December.  Very excited.

But back to the Prado. I walked through the incredible Parque del Buen Retiro (Literally, "Park of the Pleasant Retreat" according to the internet, an interpretation that I agree with) to get there.  It's gotten chilly here, but the walk is always enjoyable.  There were people doing tai chi, jogging, reading with their thermoses-- being Spanish and enjoying their common spaces.  The Spanish don't do anything in their houses that they could do outside, and I respect that.
She's actually very captivating in person.
At the museum itself, I saw the special Velasquez exhibit that's currently on about the royal family portraits he did (most famously, Las Meninas, of course).  I particularly loved his portraits of La Infanta Margarita, which means "princess," not "infant," as the title suggests.  She's the cute blonde girl in the middle of Las Meninas.

Then I revisited my favorites.  Cole was kind enough to remind me that van der Weyden's The Descent is in the Prado.  Wow, is that painting incredible.  Just look at the Virgin and Jesus, their pallid death color (everyone else is visibly rosier) and similar body positions-- what a great connection.  And their hands almost touching.  And the tears on everyone's faces.  HOW.
 
I also saw Fra Angelico's Annunciation.  Then said hi to Titian and Rafael and tipped my metaphorical cap to Goya.  I liked Rubens' Adam and Eve, too, or at least compared to Titian's.

I have to sleep.  Art is nice.  It's gotten cold here, though I'm sure the east coast people have it worse.

Much love.

Rachael

P.S. Nicole-- revisiting Ingrid's "Slow the Rain" album.  It's so good!! Reminds me of the good ol' days.
Disturbing.

Trust me, it's better than Titian's.

5 comments:

  1. That painting of Cronus was on one of my books for Hum I think. We spent most of the conference talking about how creepy it was instead of the book itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of us have read both The Golden Compass and The Hunger Games, right? And we all knew JKR was a woman before we started HP, even though she had to use her initials instead of her female name in order to give her books a better shot? There's definitely something to that argument, but there's also something to the opposite argument, namely these three series.

    Did you see Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights? Definitely my favorite painting at the Prado.

    Also love that Goya Cronus/Saturn painting. Creepy enough for me to choose it for my photo imitation project in Gunnin's class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, I want to make it clear that I'm not attacking you guys; it's simply the nature of the world. Just as H. R. Clinton asserted in the 90's "women's rights are human rights," (a belief that is still marginalized), women's lit is not often treated as women's lit rather than human lit. As such, the fiction world is dominated by male authors and male protagonists. This doesn't particularly bother me; I'm not arguing that it should be different.

    To answer your point, again, without saying you've done anything wrong, because I don't believe that you have. I specifically chose the word "and" in favor of "and/or" in reference to the fictional Rothfuss fiction, meaning that both the author AND the protagonist would be female in order to fit my conditions. So Hunger Games does, but Golden Compass and Harry Potter do not (by the way, I haven't read the Golden Compass-- should I add it to my to-read list?).

    One of my favorite authors is Tamora Pierce, who I've read 16 books of and was a favorite of Alanna, Nicole and I in the good old days. Feminist fantasy for sure, and that's what I was thinking of in terms of "do ANY guys read this stuff?"

    I most certainly did not see The Garden of Earlthy Delights!!! Wow, it looks incredible. I'll be sure to hit it up when Shane is visiting Madrid. Thanks for the tip.

    Yes, Goya is impressive. There's a statue in front of the Prado of him, with bird poop all over his head. I wish they would clean it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no doubt fantasy/sci-fi, and literature in general, is male dominated. I absolutely agree with that. The fact that JKR had to hide behind her initials is proof enough of that. I just don't know if that means I wouldn't have read NotW. Unless it means NotW never gets popular enough to reach me, or even get published. Which is very, very possible.

    At the state park in Rhode Island where we raced a few weeks ago, a seagull was sitting on top of a statue's head and making it his own. It wasn't Goya, though. Well, it might have been, but if so, I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed with all literary points. On a separate note, I am on page 17 of a story of my own.

    Haha. I saw a FDR statue in Copenhagen. Anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete