Monday, November 18, 2013

Well, if you’re travelin’ in the north country fair, Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline

GIS is taking up a little bit of my time.

Over and over again. I spend my life in that lab. And it gets dark at 4:something now. Daylight savings is awful. Yesterday (Sunday) I walked into the GIS lab at 1:something and didn't finish until around 7. Depressing, almost. No, not depressing. Depressing is something else entirely. I shouldn't use that word when I don't mean it.

Last weekend I road tripped to Maine to watch the regionals meet. Spent Friday night at Attwood's house near Portland. Thanks to them. Our teams ran well on Saturday, each getting second. Definitely a bit of a disappointment losing to Williams by one point on the men's side, but we still did really well.
Oh, and somebody in the car I was in got all uppity about the fact that the only navigational tool being used was a paper map instead of a mobile device. In her words, "We live in the iPhone age and you're using that?" Well, guess how many wrong turns we made while using the map. Zero. (Guess how many they made on the drive back the next day when I rode the bus. More than zero.)

Much bigger road trip coming up this weekend.

Also on Saturday and pertaining to XC, though a few thousand miles away, CdM's top guy ran 15:24 at CIF Prelims at Mt. SAC. That's the fastest anyone from our school has ran at that course since I've been keeping track, which is 2007, and probably a lot further back than that, too. Can't wait to see what Spence can run next week at Finals.

Not a lot of time on my hands right now. Got to get some things done.

I'll leave you with a picture my mom sent me. Our Sandy is on the right, and a friend's dog, Bailey, is on the left.

3 comments:

  1. I still have a map crush on Tom Harrison. Paper maps, ho ho! That said, I rely on electronic ones more often.

    The doggies have the same smiles, and that pleases me.

    Watch this, you will be reminded of our silly group project with Max. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wIQXUgHm4c8&list=SPTNjsbzFjWTA3-yF32hvWVkWU5kjDA3Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so when I was driving up to Reed with Ted and Kevin (our Kevin), Kevin was in charge of GPSing us. I missed a turn, and he said "That's okay, we don't need to turn around. Just take this turn up here". We ended up having to drive down a 1-way road through the sketchiest farm in history. I will concede to paper maps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom Harrison is the best. Ah, the Gandalf.

    But the sketchiest farm in history sounds like it was worth it, right? I mean, I've never been to the sketchiest farm in history.

    ReplyDelete