Monday, October 21, 2013

I Just Felt Like Running

Most of what has happened since I last posted is very good. Only one thing sticks out as very bad. Okay, maybe not very bad, but kind of a drag. I'll go ahead and get that one over with first.

GIS is a lot of work.
Huh. That was easier than I thought. I could elaborate. But then I'd just be spending even more time at the computer because of GIS. And that sucks. So no, this is all you get.
GIS is a lot of work.

Now for some good things.

Seven days ago I went to the bar (I say "the" because there is only one bar here.) and they gave me free chocolate cake because it was my birthday. They gave me a couple other things, but those weren't free, even on my birthday.

On Wednesday we went to a nearby marble quarry in geology lab. The north and west edges of the quarry are sheer 200 foot cliffs, but the south and east edges are terraced and ramped so $2 million dollar tractor monsters can drive down and pick up rocks to bring back to the surface. Really fricken cool to see that all happen. You should have seen the tires on those things. They were not small. Or, as people here would say, they were not not huge. That truck thing you see in the picture holds 110 tons of marble. Take a second to think about that. Most cars weigh a couple of tons. Big, right?
Use the trees on top to get a sense of scale here. It won't work, but you should try.

Now for more good things.

The Ducks are playing really well. Really, really, really well. They are currently riding a seven game winning streak. They have only played eight games. The second longest such streak in the league right now is four games. They wore their old school jerseys a few games ago. Looked like this.

Unrelated to the Ducks, but related to hockey, a goalie scored a goal a couple nights ago. Come on, you know you want to watch a goalie score a goal. Just click. It'll be over in twelve seconds.
More good things that aren't hockey related. This weekend is Fall Break.
FALL BREAK!
FALL BREAK!
FALL BREAK!
I don't have school today or tomorrow (M and T). On Sunday those of us (meaning XC people) who didn't go home (i.e. don't live in Boston) made chili in the barn. Oh, right, you don't know what the barn is. Whatever. We made chili there and it was good.

Today we drove up to Stowe and hiked Mt. Mansfield. The party consisted of myself, Chuck, Kevin, Jake, Jake's dad, and Jake's dad's fiancee. I know these names don't mean much to you, but they will to me in forty years, and that's why I'm writing this, right?

Anyway. Mansfield is the highest mountain in Vermont. I have now knocked off two high points (ME and VT), both in the last few months. 48 to go, I guess. This one is a hair under 4,400 feet. Weak, I know, whatever. It was still cool, and very doable in a half-day hike. Both pictures are from the top, the first looking south (those are ski runs) and the second looking west (that's Edoras).

Weird weather. It had snowed a bit a couple weeks before this time last year, and as you can see, Mansfield was bare today. It's been by far the nicest fall in terms of warmth and sunshine of the three I've had. Not sure what that means for the upcoming winter.

Lots of good things, like I said. The best happened between 11:00:00.0 am and 11:27:22.2 am on Saturday, assuming the gun really did go off at 11:00:00.0. I ran by far the best race of my college career, maybe my best race ever. It's tough to compare HS and college though, so I'll just stick with best race of college. It wasn't my fastest time in the 8k, but that really doesn't mean anything because courses differ so much and this was not the fastest course we ran this season, not by half (-Kvothe). I did run well enough to earn me a spot at our conference championship race a couple weeks from now, which I have never done before. This, far more than the break or the hike or the chili or even the Ducks' success — well, maybe not — has put me in a good mood. Plus, we got swanky purple T-shirts (as you can see below), which means laundry day is one three days further away than it would have otherwise been.
There are more subplots going on in this picture than in any Hieronymous Bosch painting.

2 comments:

  1. Are you at least becoming tech-savvy with your GIS course? That would be good.

    Congrats to your Ducks, and that goal actually was really awesome. I think we talked one time during my hockey training about the sheer unlikeliness of something like that happening. Even better that it happened against the Red Wings, eh?

    I love that picture, and I love the fact that the Ducks' success is finally being put into perspective (ie big personal achievements MIGHT make you happier). Maybe someday you would let me live and DVR the Stanley Cup. I won't hold my breath.... because if I passed out and hit my head in a bad way, I don't think you'd take me to the hospital. It's really just self-preservation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends what tech-savvy means. I know how to use GIS software now, but does that make me tech-savvy? Things I don't worry about.

    It's always been in perspective. Remember, this is the first month of the regular season. Winning a bunch of games in October means a lot less than winning a bunch of games in May.

    ReplyDelete