Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Feel It In My Bones

Basically I can start by telling you that this blog post is going to be short.  Why is it going to be short you might ask.  Well, because I've been the busiest I've ever been.  The combination of fraternity stuff + academics is quite the workload, and I simply don't have the time to sit here and write a novella for you folks as much as I may want to.

I guess we'll start with a little blurb on events last week.  I decided to drop my P.E. course, which seems extremely weird considering I was just raving about it last week.  I realized that with my current class schedule, in regards to the intensity combined with the inconvenient times, there is simply no way I could handle it.  I know it may seem like I'm wimping out, but I don't believe so.  Generally, Kevin keeps me in check on whether I'm being a wimp or not.  Kevin has no reservations about calling out my laziness, but he agreed that it was too tough for me.  So yeah, Kevin telling me I'm making good decisions always cheers me up; I think anyone would.

Other than that I haven't really done much this week.  We have our new pledge class, 12 of them to be exact. I like them all, I think it will be a fun semester in that department.  I've been doing shitloads of work.  Taking a bunch of technical courses is really draining on the mind, especially when they early in the morning.  Cole and I just got our mail beginning with what was sent to us at the start of first semester. Apparently they gave us the wrong box number so we weren't getting any of our mail the entire first semester.  I'm sure Cole appreciated the stale gingerbread cookies, the advent calendar, and the note addressed to...Derek.  Yes, note addressed to Derek.  Don't know how that happened.

One of the cool/intimidating things that my chem class does is a student formulated lab.  In the last 5 weeks of instruction, lab groups (2 people, I love my lab partner she's awesome.  Also, coincidentally best friends with Delara's suite-mate)  set up their own lab of choice and try to experimentally determine the answer to a question posed earlier in the semester.  The lab's are quite advanced if I look at past semesters, and thus the "cool-ness" of this project is overshadowed by its intimidating amount of work.  My lab partner and I are thinking of trying to determine the amount of protein in varying fruits.  Good idea? Bad idea?  Any other ideas you want to vicariously try?

Lastly, all of our pledges have to interview all of the brothers to get to know them better. This semester we are requiring that the interview be more of an activity interview.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  I was thinking of going on a run, but that isn't really representative of me, I just thought it might be fun.  Also, I thought maybe I could require them to learn a simple harmony on the piano of one of our fraternity's song.  That might be too hard though.  So basically I don't what I'm going to do and I'm coming to you for help.  What should i do!?!?!?!


Ok, that's all for today.  Sorry its short but I got to work on my formal lab report and go to a club meeting so I can hopefully teach some elementary school kids chemistry.  Also, this is funny.

Peace and Blessin's,

Jason

Oh, also, for Nicole, they mentioned Bates in one of my chem textbooks!



6 comments:

  1. You quit PE? But then how will you shower in Kevin's dorm room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to chastis you for quitting, but I guess if Kevin's not calling you out on it, well, your decision is probably a good one.

    If you want my advice for an interview, I'd say you ought to try to channel your inner John Cleese and do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin's showers are disgusting anyways. I won't be missing out on much. Plus I've already showered at his house, so that's checked off my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing having them make a mug at Color Me Mine wouldn't cut it? Or interview while cleaning your room for you? Cup stacking? Or build an ice cream sundae.

    Well, I'm done pretending to help for today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color me Mine is amazing!!! The mug would definitely be sub par compared to the one Devin and I made but hey go for it I say.

    OR drinking tea somewhere cool. I like the running idea. Maybe that would help you stay in shape, since you'd have to go on 15 runs. But I also like the tea plan. Your call.

    The elder wand is a classic joke, and I get why you had to quit your crazy class. All in all, I support you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS, the textbook mentions my old professor Tom Wenzel! He gave me an A, and therefore I like him! I feel famous knowing him. Ms. Topping, I like your ideas.

    ReplyDelete