Friday, January 27, 2012

Snow at the Beach


As usual, I’m starting this way too late to be actually inventive and witty.  But it was an interesting week, so I’ll do my best at this late hour (23:46 EST).


For starters, last Saturday I awoke to snow on the ground, the first we’ve had (while I’ve been in D.C.) since a light powder in late October.  So that was pretty exciting.  I included a pretty nondescript picture of the field, but I thought it was ironic, because it’s nicknamed the Beach.  Beaches usually don’t have snow.  (But have you seen pictures of waves that freeze mid-crash?  That’s cooler than my picture.)

Sketch for Bottle/Box Pile
My classes have been going pretty well, but they’ve been super intense.  Monday was Painting, and we were supposed to do three black and white still lives, which involved mixing three different shades of gray and doing a “wash” (painting a blank canvas with paint-y water to make it look gray so that white shows up on it) (also, do you spell gray “gray” or “grey”?  I prefer “gray” because I think a’s are warm letters, which makes the world sort of ironic.) (Speaking of a’s as warm letters, that’s why I 100% objectively prefer Rachael to Rachel.).  Also the things she had us paint weren’t that inspiring: a pile of wires, overlapping sheets of construction paper, a pile of bottles and boxes.

Bottle/Box Pile Painting
Nevertheless, I did my best and this is what I came up with for the last painting.  I didn’t include the wires or construction paper paintings because even if I did do a good job, they're boring.  For the pile of bottles one, we were supposed to ignore the lines separating the objects and paint them as a blob.  I ended up coming back to the studio on my own time to finish it, which was much more relaxing.

My other classes are Intensive College Writing, Spanish, Microeconomics, and Education for International Development.  My Microeconomics prof is basically the opposite of Hiles: young, liberal, graduate of U of Oregon.  And, as the saying goes “I like that.”  Also, my textbook was written by a dude at Derek’s school.  And by a dude I mean a guy with a doctorate.  I just like saying dude in that situation because it makes me feel hip and like a total rebel.  Frig yeah.

Education for International Development is basically “Why Finland is perfect and everywhere else sucks” and “the IMF isn’t actually that great”.  Which is awesome.  It’s sort of depressing, because there are a lot of things making it hard to save the world, but since I’m considering doing a five years master’s program in International Development, I’m glad I took the class.  The professor has a voice like a radio talk show host and I love listening to her.

On Thursday, I had art again.  It was more black and white paintings of bottles and boxes, but this time we got to look at how the light hit them and stuff.  The realistic one of these photos is the actual thing I was painting, and the sketch looking one was my sketch.  I haven’t finished the painting itself, but I’ll show you guys that eventually.  Sorry if this bores you, I’m just trying to get a return on my investment on all the art supplies I had to buy for the class.

Other factoids- it was rush week for my frat, like Jason’s, and I also had my interview with ThinkMath.  ThinkMath is a tutoring program executed by undergrads in local elementary schools.  They teach math on a Singapore, not American, system, and in exchange for tutoring small groups of children ages 5-10, they pay you $12/hour to start and it only gets better from there.  So that’s exciting.  They also are expanding their Southern CA program and I may have a job offer for the summer.  I hope the interview turned out well.  I don’t know where I would fit a second job into my schedule, but it would only be like 5 hours a week, so I guess it’ll be okay.

My eyelids are drooping and so it’s off to dreamland for me, but I hope your weeks went well.  Also, Nicole, just want you to know I thought about you this week and sent happy thoughts your way.  Hope you got them.

Night,

Rachael

9 comments:

  1. I love Snowing. It's snowing outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LATE, also, what makes it a Singapore system?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your black/white art is probably worth millions in any modern art museum if you had a cool name behind it.

    ^ That was mostly a stab at modern art, but in all seriousness (although I do not like modern art that much) your blog black/white painting is pretty good. Painting class sounds fun, I'm envious of you and I hope you are the next Jospeh Wright (random artist I like).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the compliment, Jason. My current painting is also going pretty well but I didn't want to post up a half-finished project. I figured it went under the "magician revealing his trade secrets" logic.

    Rich, I often rely on this blog's time zone in order to make deadlines. Also it is a Singapore system in that is it from Singapore. American often lags behind other countries in science and part of the reason may be that we have less-intuitive systems than other countries. So ThinkMath uses international textbooks and workbooks (in English) to help kids learn.

    I don't know all that much about the program, but to give you an example: In America, we generally teach kids how to add numbers 1-100, subtract numbers 1-100, then move onto multiplication and division. This system teaches you addition from 1-10 then multiplication, because there is clear relationship between 5 x 3 and 5 + 5 + 5 that kids can understand before numbers get too complicated. That's just an example that my interviewer explained in brief, but that was my take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I often am late a similar amount of time in my own zone. But that system sounds cool. So do these kids not go to an american-system school? Or does the tutoring not coincide with the system in the school?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The system seems really cool. If I get the job I'll let you guys know more about it. They actually do go to American schools, but we're trying to enhance their educational experience, because D.C. schools are notoriously lame. It does coincide with what they're learning at school, but I think it just gives them a deeper understanding of what they're learning in small groups. My interviewer said that the largest group she's seen was five kids.

    And it's not homework help. It's instruction with workbooks and homework and (on my end of things) lesson planning. So I'm really excited about it.

    I can only do it on Wednesdays and they only have one Wednesday program (which starts on Feb 1.), so I hope to get a chance, but if not, they may have office work for me and a spot next semester. More info here:

    http://www.foundationsforeducation.org/FAQs.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I showed up too late to the party and nobody's gonna read this, but tonight is the first time I've been on a computer since before this was posted, so I guess I'll have to live with that.

    “Why Finland is perfect and everywhere else sucks” is not something you have to teach a class on. All you have to do is establish the fact that Teemu Selanne was born in Finland, and then everyone will accept that “Finland is perfect and everywhere else sucks” without complaint, because everyone knows that Teemu Selanne “is perfect and every[one] else sucks” and that's that. You should let your professor know that.

    Nice art. And I agree with Jason vis-a-vis Joseph Wright. Also, I'm going to frustrate Nicole (if she ever reads this) by saying that we learned about him in Gunnin's class. This will be frustrating to Nicole because she has almost certainly forgotten about Wright. I await confirmation on this matter.

    The Singapore thing sounds very interesting. Good luck, and let us know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think Nicole read this since I gave her a special shout out and never got a reply. But I forgive easily. Thanks for the compliment about the art and get ready to be wowwed again on Friday. More bottles and boxes await.

    I know Frank Lloyd Wright but Joseph Wright does not ring any of my measly art-recognizing bells.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My internet connection on my laptop is really screwy, so it only allows me on facebook. So whenever I want to do real work or post my post, I go to the library. I need to fix this issue, I know. But I'm reading it now. Thank you for the happy thoughts, Rachael. Derek, I was no frustrated, because I am not a child . I looked him up on Google and then remembered him. SO THERE! NANANANA POO POO!

    ReplyDelete