Sunday, September 23, 2012

My nose is super stuffy

I feel so bad after missing my last few Saturday posts. There are just too many things going on over the weekend to find the time and peace of mind to sit down and write. Maybe I'll try writing on Thursday and posting on Saturday.



I really like the idea of putting music in our posts, so here's one of my recent favorites, the Sibelius Violin Concerto in D minor:
(The music starts at around 0:30.) The opening melody is so beautiful, and Vengerov plays it with such delicacy and clarity that I can't help but shiver. His masterclasses are also awesome. Several of them are on youtube, and it's very insightful to see how his quirky nature and fantastic imagination comes through the music. 

Now for some updates: I've joined the solar car team as part of the materials and mechanical engineering groups. I'll probably be helping out with the suspension/steering geometry and research with the carbon composite materials we'll be using to build the frame. The carbon materials are really cool. One of the test panels they showed us was about as light as cardboard but about as strong as a block of solid wood 4 times thicker. It's not really what I want to head into, but the team is building a completely new car over the next two years starting now, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. There goes my weekends.

I had my first test (physics) and it went pretty well (95!). Taking a test at night (7:30-9:30) was kind of strange, but I guess that's something I'll have to get used to. 

Last week, I was planning on doing the gap year post because of something that happened at ADPhi's first house meeting. I'm going to post about it now so I don't forget. (Not the gap year stuff. That will take a while.)

ADPhi has a strong focus on non-math and science things like literature, music, etc., which is especially nice at MIT. One of the traditions is for some of the brothers to do a literary performance every Sunday during the house meeting, and we started with a brother reading a poem called "Desiderata" by Max Ehrmann. This was a poem that Euan Craig had shown me during my time with him in Japan. (For a little background, I spent a substantial part of my gap year helping Euan and his family rebuild after the 2011 earthquake. I plan to write about this eventually, but my words will never be enough to accurately describe what it meant to me.) Here is the poem:


Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.
Perhaps, like the poem says, the universe is unfolding as it should. Just a thought.

Raku

2 comments:

  1. That was an amazing poem, I'm happy you shared it. Also, don't worry about not posting; we all understand how busy it is and no one holds it against you. I'm happy I've started this musical trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 95 is definitely good. Not pretty good.

    I love the poem as well. This part stuck out to me as good advice/ beautiful phrasing. "Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here." I like the idea of having a right to be here.

    Now I know one thing about your gap year. Yay! Look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete