Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Riddle Me This!

What has three legs going up a hill, but four going down it?
Stop me if you've heard this one before. 
So I was having dinner with my friend Jack (the first good friend I made at college due to a Sundae Social Function for freshmen) and he wanted to go downstairs to get an ice cream. However, he was sad that he had to walk such a long way alone and thought he would be bored during his travels. He asked me to give him a riddle to preoccupy him as he adventured to the soft-serve machine. I wracked my brain. I knew Gollum had told Bilbo some pretty good ones, but I had forgotten them all. So I told Jack to wait a few seconds and trotted over to a nearby table where some of my other friends sat.

"Do you guys know any good riddles?"
"No."
"Okay, cool."

I walked back over to Jack and said with a smile "What has three legs going up a hill, but four going down it?". Jack's face burst out in a wide grin "Oooh, that's an interesting one. How fun. Okay, I'll try to figure it out while I'm getting my dessert." 

Three to five minutes later Jack was back. And our friend Jordan joined us. We told Jordan the riddle, but neither Jack nor Jordan could get it. I asked if they wanted to know it. 

"No, no, I want to figure this one out." Jack responded. I nodded knowingly. Figuring out riddles yourself is one of the most satisfying feelings. We carry on with our dinner, and Jordan brings out his smart phone (sorry Derek) and looks up other riddles for us to answer. Jack and I figure them out way too quickly. They were too easy.

Finally at the end of dinner Jack gives in. "Okay, okay. Tell me the answer to the riddle." I grin maniacally at him "I have no idea what the answer is. I just made up the question on spot." I laugh in a less-than-sane way while Jack and Jordan (and probably half of the upstairs Mezzanine) looks at me like I've lost my wits. 
"You're the worst" Jack says.

I know, Jack. I know. 

Okay, on to the weekend. A combination of my Rand (where I lived last year) friends, Debate friends, "other" friends and I went to the Common Ground Fair in Unity, Maine on Saturday. Everything that is wonderful, mountain-man hipster, hippy, hiker, eco-friendly, green, delicious, interesting, down-to-earth, earthy, farm-fresh, organic, free-ranged, politically liberal, culture-filled, and granola-y resided at this fair. I went to the fair last year because it was a part of an assignment for my first year seminar, and I am so glad that I did. It's going to be a yearly tradition, folks. Why? Because of the food, interesting people, crafts, being outdoors for the day with friends, and did I mention the food? There are free samples of things like cheese and bell peppers, there are treats like pie cones, freshly cut french fry potato chip wonders, and assortment of vegetables and fruit, delicious flat bread pizza, smoothies, and more. My goodness, it was glorious, people (see antics below).


 

Work it, girl. Or should I say...woman?


I fell asleep on the bus ride home, had dinner with the people I went to the fair with, and then walked back to my room with Victoria, where we watched the penultimate Pond-present Doctor Who episode. It was pretty good. Doctor Who has sort of been "meh" for me lately, but I still enjoy it. Especially after I analyze it and constructively criticize it with friends (read: the internet). Saturday night what did I do? 

Oh ho ho, you have no idea.
No, yeah, you have some idea.

I stayed inside and wrote an 850 word piece of poetry that as the piece went on sort of turned into a memoir piece but then gradually made its way back into a work of poetry. Oh Nicole, you're an English Major now and you're taking a class devoted solely to poetry, so I don't think it's a lot to ask for to require you to become better at poetry rather than worse. Okay? Okay. Good chat. 

Sunday was a day I tried my very hardest to be productive. I think I managed to do work, but I can't quite remember the day clearly. It was like FOUR days ago, okay?! That's ages ago, you guys. I'm not  a freaking pensieve, okay? Oh, no, wait. I remember now. I interviewed two people for two different articles I'm writing for my two different jobs. And then I studied for my Oral (I swear, you guys, I blush every time I write that word. I am so immature.) Chinese exam and then worked on some Anthropology and Environmental Studies reading. 

Monday is always a ghastly long day, with early morning studying from 9 to 10:45, class from 11 to 2:30, work from 2:40 to 4, debate from 4:10 to to 5:45, dinner from 6 to 6:45 and then my first break of the day, followed by a Bates Authors Guild meeting from 7:30 to 8:15 and then homework until bed time. So I pretty much just explained every Monday ever. So never expect anything interesting to happen those days except for like "I read a poem!" or "I ate some free candy from my job!". 

Tuesday I noticed that my right eye was getting sort of pink. I think I have pink eye. And before you make any "Knocked Up" (the movie, not just... the action) jokes, I have the virus form not the bacterial form. So there. So today I wore glasses so that I wouldn't touch my eye (plastic barrier) because I hear pink-eye is extremely contagious and I don't want to give it to anyone. 

But back to Tuesday. For my reading and writing poetry class, we spend the hour and a half of class sitting on the grass in front of the Puddle (our Pond) analyzing Whitman's "Song of Myself" (from Leaves of Grass. I made a joke about the fact that we were on grass and related it to the poem in a clever way, but no on heard me. And then the teacher made a similar joke but louder, and everyone laughed. That is a very common occurrence in the Danser family home). Sitting outside, letting the wind blow through my hair and analyzing poetry as well as the brevity and whimsy of life was a very calming yet sobering class session. After that, I debated in a British Parliamentary debate round, had dinner, and then went to the Ronj to get Pumpkin Chai. I then listened to classical music and studied Chinese until I got bored and walked down the stairs to Taylor's room where she and a novice debater (I think his name is Ben? I'm not sure, I'm just guessing. And there are around 5 Bens on our team now, so the probability of his name being Ben is pretty high) were writing up a case for the BU novice tournament happening this weekend.

Today was an average day. I interviewed a professor about the upcoming play she directed. Her accent was gorgeous (she's from Hungary) and she was clever with a dry humor and just a general aura of intrigue. I'm not quite sure what I'm saying, but I mean it. She seems like a wonderful person. I also had a Chinese quiz (surprise! And another one tomorrow, double surprise!) and got dinner with Ashleen as I studied for my classes.

Now I have to go read some poetry. Have a nice week, you all.

- Nicole 


No comments:

Post a Comment