Saturday, September 1, 2012

West Five Story?


Hi again! Unfortunately, there will be no pictures this week because I've been bad about taking them and it really isn't a good idea to take pictures at some East Campus events. Actually, it usually isn't a good idea to post anything about EC events online. Something about safety issues…


So this week was full of orientation events, lots of ice breakers, talks about what to expect our first year, advice, etc. It's been quite tough to meet so many new people in such a short amount of time. Most conversations have gone like this:
1. Exchange names
2. What major are you thinking about?
3. Where do you live?
4. Cool.
(5. Awkward silence and wandering off.)
My social skills need work.

I'm also being a bit anti-social right now, writing in my room while rush events are going on. Speaking (writing?) of which, I now have a permanent room! On Wednesday night, we had our hall rush at EC where all the freshmen toured the ten halls and had great fun and endless food. We ranked our preferences and on Thursday morning, we had our final room assignments. I ended with a single on 5th West, which is one of the more relaxed floors in EC. People here play lots of music, paint murals on the walls, and generally like to chill. I met a cellist here who said he'd give me some tips every now and then! It's definitely a cool place to be and I think I'll like it here.

There is one thing I'm considering which could be really awesome if everything goes well. I made a friend named Jaguar (really!) during the FPOP and we're considering rooming together. We both have singles and had the great idea of moving into one and turning the other into a party room/workshop/lounge. It will take a lot of work, and we're still not too sure if being roommates will work out, but there's a lot of potential here.

(Brief background on Jaguar: He's from Alaska, is funny and outgoing, likes to motorcycle and build robots, and is thinking about studying robotics and AI. You guys would love him.)

On the academic side of life here, I've signed up for classes and though my schedule needs some tweaking, I'm quite satisfied. I will be taking Multivariable Calc, Physics I, Intro Bio (with Eric Lander!), Science Communication, and Swing Dancing. One of these is not like the others. We'll see how it goes. I'll also take a freshman advising seminar called "It's All Relative," a small course on how to design experiments and what to consider when you scale from micro to macro scale. From what the Professor has told me, it seems like more of a fun class where we'll be touring labs and facilities around MIT and have discussions in a small group of around ten people. I think first semester will be quite the experience.

Until next week!
Raku

4 comments:

  1. This EC is becoming quite the mystery. I am intrigued to say the least.

    To give a tip on engaging in conversation, just pick some random point someone makes and expand upon it. Generally you can use something from your own life that (hopefully) they will be able to expand upon. Not that I'm an expert at this, but I've found it works as I do have extensive experience with it during rush week.

    I really want to visit you. Those classes sounds amazing. Or some of them do... others not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! And yes I agree with Jason's tip. It is awkward putting yourself in the path of someone you (potentially) have nothing in common with, and it's something I've struggled with. You can always ask about summer stuff, too, but that can be another dead end.

    I have almost no information about your gap year and would like some info about this if possible. Perhaps next week? Unless I am the only one in the dark.

    Lastly, I have never heard of anyone doing a party room thing but it sounds fun (: wouldn't it be cheaper to just do a double, though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After studying Japanese like crazy to discover the mysteries of the far east, I discovered that 90% of the mystery was weather. It can stretch out even the most meager of conversations until a really interesting subject can be found....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice everyone! Meeting new people has been very exhausting these past few days, but all of that practice seems to be amounting to something. I'll probably be fine.

    @Jason: I'll send you a message about EC later, when I'm more settled and not so overwhelmed with stuff to do. It's a lot of fun, and you should definitely visit.

    @Rachael: The double is not much bigger than my single, and it's about $400 cheaper per semester. I'm saving quite a bit since I'm not on a meal plan, and I think I could earn enough to cover it with a job next spring.

    ReplyDelete