Friday, February 17, 2012

Another typical week, only with more junk food.

Evidence that Fox News has negative IQ
“On an otherwise regular Sunday evening broadcast in 2011, Fox News reported that Sarah Palin had not decided if she would run for president in 2012.  As is common, a picture of the politician accompanied the report… only it wasn’t Sarah Palin.  The network mistakenly used a picture of Tina Fey mocking Palin in a 2008 Saturday Night Live skit.”

Thus began the four page explanatory feature article I wrote that was due yesterday.  I thought that was a humorous anecdote about how Fox News is dumb, and the point of my article was that the line between entertainment and news has been blurred (passive voice because of the obscure object that is obscuring the line) over the years with SNL’s “Weekend Update” and Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show.  You know you want to read it.  Just kidding.  But just hear the title: “Is the quality of news ‘Palin’?” Hahaha… yay me!


Other things I’ve done this week- (get ready to be shocked!) more art!  You can see an updated painting very soon, don’t fret.

Not done yet.  The building part isn't.  But the sky and the ground hopefully are.
Also, I want to tell you, Derek, that my school isn’t super small, but we also have an add-drop period for the first two weeks of class too.  I was going to say that my school IS small, and it made me mad that you only talked about Rich and Nicole going to a small school, but then I looked it up and the undergraduate population at 2(Middlebury) + Reed + Bates = American.  So I still like you.  And I didn’t tell you before, but I really did read your hockey thing.  Assists and goals and pouncing and stuff.

Hope y’all had a good Valentine’s Day.

Speaking of which, Devin is coming tomorrow for 10 days.  Yay!  We have lots of fun plans like: 
  • going to this Crime/ CSI Museum (got a Groupon for it!)
  • National Cathedral/ Georgetown cupcakes (it’s like Sprinkles.  We also have Sprinkles but apparently the niche market for $4 cupcakes can accommodate two companies.  There is a Georgetown Cupcakes and a Sprinkles within two blocks of one another, and if you time it right you can get a free one at each of them.  Which is amazing.)
  • The Air & Space museum (when I was a kid I thought it was the Aaron Space museum) (arguably the best Smithsonian.  In the lobby is the Apollo 11 and I want you guys to know that my grandpa helped get that up in the sky.  He’s a computer engineer man and super smart.)
  • National Gallery of Art (we are both in art classes and they have pretty art there.  Another cool Smithsonian.  It’s awesome that Smithsonians are free.)
  • Old Post Office Pavilion! (soooo cool.)
  • Natural History Museum (Hope diamond and those Easter Island men.  Oh and a mummy.)

  • ·         And MAYBE ice skating on the ex-fountain by the sculpture.  My favorite part of D.C. that I’ve only been to once.five times.

Other good news- Got a 96% on my Microecon test!!  The average was 82.  So I’m above average!  Speaking of which.  We get a lot of free food at my job (I work in the library.  Do any of the rest of you have jobs?  Jason, what did you mean when you said "overtime" in your post?  That confused me.).  Anyway last Friday was Office De-Clutter day and apparently this warranted really yummy pizza.  I had two giant slices of Spinach & Artichoke pizza and yum was it good.  So this relates to econ because I felt like I was defying the whole "There's no such thing as a free lunch" concept.  Because they say that your opportunity cost for that "free" lunch is getting paid.  Only I got paid to eat that lunch.  The opportunity cost for me eating that pizza was doing something worse than getting paid to eat good pizza.  So yeah.

Also on Valentine's Day, the library had a "bake off"and 21 people entered a dessert and I got to try them ALL and vote on which was my favorite.  Oh my god.  So good. Sheet cake and fudge and key lime pie and molasses cookies and om nom nom forever and ever.  I ate way too much.  It was amazing.

I know this is really disconnected and you’re sad for wasting time on this post, but let me finish with a cool new Ingrid Michaelson song that only Nicole will want to listen to.  That’s fine.



Night night!

-Rachael

P.S. Because (like the rest of you) I have a good number of AP credits, I'm eligible to be an RA next year.  I submitted an application last week and tomorrow I have a 5 hour interview (not exaggerating: four hour group interview and forty minute solo interview plus I have to check in an hour early).  I really hope to get it because it means a cool leadership role and free housing.  Besides a lot of work.  Anyway, just putting that out into the universe.  Hopefully it goes well.

3 comments:

  1. My job is currently copying notes for disabled kids in my class. Also, I've listened to that Ingrid song way too many times in way too many versions. Do you have "Spotify"? There are so many 'remix' and versions of that song. Also, I had a dream we were going to go to Disneyland together. Which would have been awesome if it wasn't a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was just referencing my time-frame I constrained myself for writing that post. As in like: ( 1 minute left) Well, I'm running out of time so...blah blah blah (when the pre-determined timing ends) (oh no now I'm in overtime (referencing that I'm over my planned timing)) I hope that made sense, it was very confusing haha.

    Also, tis a good song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have a job. My excuse is that running takes up any extra time that I might have worked in. And Jason, I understood the overtime thing.

    Good post. Good night.

    ReplyDelete