Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Archer shot me with a cupid's arrow.

Congratulations, you survived another 6 days without a post from me. How you readers deal with such Nicole withdrawals every week is astonishing to me. I, for one, cannot live a day without myself. Speaking of days: LAST THURSDAY (beat that transition, Jason).
Thursday of last: My mother and I were going to go to Disneyland. But then it turned out that my annual pass had expired. So we didn't go. First world problems, I know. Not allowing this news to bring me down, I decided to take up Netflix's offer of a month of free service and watched the entire first season of Archer. And then the second season. And then the episodes of the third season that I hadn't watched before. No, no, my behavior is healthy, don't worry about it. 

Friday: I think you guys are going to be especially proud of what I did on Friday. I took a hike/walk with my mother in some protected park. I cannot remember what the park was called, but I do remember that it was hot and a chaparral. It was quite wonderful being outdoors, especially in weather that was over 50 degrees. Since I had stayed indoors for the most part the past six days, I was finally rested and ready to do things. Funnily enough, the next day I had to fly back to college.



Saturday: I woke up at 5:30 and drove (read: was chauffeured by my father) to the airport, where I got on an airplane and flew to Newark. It was around a 4 1/2 hour flight and I was stuck in the middle seat between two middle-aged business men. And my seat, when set in recline, only moved around 3 inches. Luckily, I was quite tired so I was able to sleep for about four hours of the plane flight. However, for the last half an hour of the flight the winds started picking up and I was subjected to 30 minutes of bumpy, nausea inducing movement. At this point in time, the man to the left of me decided to start talking to me and cracking jokes. I was as polite as possible and managed not to throw up on him. I feel like this is a success story if there ever was one.

My connecting flight was supposed to be at 5:30 to Portland which would allow me to land at 7:30 and spend the night at Bates. Alas, the airport had different plans and delayed the flight until 8 o'clock. Luckily, two Batesies were going on the same flight, one I sort of knew and the other I was friends(ish) with. We bonded and joked and decided to share a cab back to Bates. Friendships save money! I ended up sitting next to my friend (Owen) on the flight and we chatted about politics, the environment, and what we did over break. Anyways, I got back home at like 11 o'clock and hung out with my floor mates until 1 am. 

Sunday: On Sunday I spent my entire day with my friend Colin instead of doing homework, which is okay because I didn't have any PRESSING work to do. I helped him clean up his room and do his laundry (Before you yell at be about gender roles, know that I was the one that offered to help clean, okay? I was not forced into this!). We watched television and just lazed about. An unproductive but nice day.

Monday: Monday I went to my Chinese class, ate food and went to debate. I also slept. I also volunteered to be a judge at the upcoming tournament at Providence college and have been voluntold that when Bates hosts our debate tournament, 5 debaters will be housed in my dorm. My roommate is displeased, to say the least.

Tuesday: I had three classes totaling 5 hours and 20 minutes, and had a wonderful dinner with some of my floor-mates. They are quite funny.  I also chatted with Matt Summers about housing options next year. I'm not sure where I'm living yet, nor with whom. This might get a bit troublesome in the near future. I also stayed up until 1:30 working with Taylor Blackburn online, writing a debate version of the song "You belong to me" while simultaneously catching up with Nelson on Facebook chat. I then kept myself away until around 3 am freaking out about how I had no blue and yellow outfit for Leap Day today (it's a 30 Rock thing). I'm wearing a blue t-shirt with yellow french fries on it, so we're good. Also, in classic Liz Lemon style, my underwear is blue and yellow as well. If you didn't watch 30 Rock's Leap Day episode, that last comment just sounds weird. But trust me, it's awesome. 

Today I've been working on Chinese and reading for my Environment and Culture class. At four I will go to debate and then I'll get dinner. After that, I will go back to my dorm and study. The end.

7 comments:

  1. El Moro Canyon in Crystal Cove State Park. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 people in your room O_O That seems like a lot of people for what I expect to be a small amount of space. And I liked the transition haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go bike riding there! Derek, you should come this summer!

    Nicole, all of that sounds like fun. I wish I was involved in something that let me travel to lots of different schools. You should come to American. Did it cost a lot of money to do debate or no? You don't have to answer, I'm just curious about it because I want to travel too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The school gives the debate council a fixed amount of money every year for travelling etc... That's why the college is so expensive: everything is pre-paid in the tuition. Haha. I'm trying to get my money's worth, so I do debate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just checked out our debating team's website, and apparently we're good: "The American University Debate Society is the premier debating team at American, and is ranked eighth in the nation. Over the past three years, AUDS has excelled in developing first-year debaters, placing more so-called “novices” in the top 15 nationally than any school other than Yale."

    Maybe if I joined we could see each other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omigod!! "Our debate league (APDA) features member schools from California (Stanford) to Virginia (William and Mary) all the way north to Maine (Bates), and most host tournaments each year."

    ReplyDelete