Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lick It

Alright, alright. After this post I'm finally going to have to start logging throughout the week what I've been doing because as freaking always all I can remember about the week is debate. Which is really boring. Actually, maybe I just don't do anything other than debate and study (and hardly even that. Ha-ha . . . just kidding, parents, I study 8 hours every day of course). Onwards? Onwards!

Good to see you again.

Alright, on Wednesday or something I believe I went to this odd get-together called {Pause} (with the weird brackets and everything. I don't know how you would pronounce it aloud, though. Ha! I'm hilarious. You miss me, admit it.). Anyways, I had thought it was some weird religious culty thing whenever I saw it advertised in emails sent to me because it was hosted in the chapel. Turns out its just a weekly event where people are quiet a lot, and people perform art, poetry, and all that jazz (well, maybe not jazz, but acapella groups perform sometimes. Ah, zing! How do you deal with such wit?). The reason why I went to {Pause} is because my friend Barbara Vanderberg was performing some of her poetry. In between the pieces there was about 3 minutes of silence in which we were told to {Pause} and reflect. It was actually quite nice having complete silence with no distractions around me. I just thought about my life from trivial thoughts to deep introspection. You can do a lot in three minutes.

On Thursday I went to my classes, watched Archer with my friend and then went to sleep. It was a helluva day.

On Friday I went to my Chinese class and then got all dressed up for debate at MIT. My partner was Vic Sliwa, a varsity member. Since she is not a novice, we were thus not capable of breaking for novice out-rounds. Which is fine by me, as I do not do well under pressure. So it was just a fun weekend of debate, although both Vic and I were feeling a tad under the weather at the beginning of the tournament. Our debate statistics were 3-2, which is pretty solid and I got some above average  and average speaker scores ( the judging pool was horrendous, though).

On Friday night at the tournament, instead of being housed in the MIT dorms, I was invited (read: I invited myself over) to my friend Harrison's apartment where Colin, Yvonne, Taylor and Meagan were also staying. It was an interesting night. It was the first time I saw people take bong hits other than in the movies. I stayed pretty far away from the activity, though. Then we all watched hilarious feminist videos and then some very odd music video remixes until way late in the night. When it got too late, we all decided to go to bed. Except some people did not, in fact, go to bed, and instead had really really loud sex for like an hour. Which was funny at first, but then I just wanted to go to sleep. But it was still hilarious.

Saturday night the debaters and I arrived back on campus at around 8 o'clock. It was, in fact, Saint Patrick's day. So you guys know what I did! Wooooooooooooooooooooo! But really, I ate dinner, went to my dorm, took a shower, watched 30 Rock and then went to sleep. I had no interest in watching drunk people sing and get all Irish and belligerent.

On Sunday the weather was exquisite. I spent the day out in the quad basking in the sun, doing homework, singing along with the debaters as Jillian played her guitar, and tossing around a football. Then I went to a public debate hosted by our GSA-y club called "Outfront". After that, I had an early dinner and then did more homework.

On Monday and Tuesday nothing substantial happened. Unless you find this fun little story entertaining:
I was in my Chinese class and the T.A. was going over some new words in Chinese. All of a sudden she asks me "Nicole, how do you say weird in Chinese?" which I was caught off-guard by, because the word was not in our textbook. So without thinking I replied "I don't know, you tell me" in WAYYYY TOO sassy a manner. Everyone started laughing because I think I made them uncomfortable, as I am not usually so uhhh . . . weird. Luckily the TA is a sweetheart and found it funny as well. So hoorah.

Today is Wednesday and my friend Barbara was "tableing" in commons (tableing is sitting at a table trying to get people to sign petitions or become aware about an event coming up). The reason why she was tableing is because on Friday Outfront is hosting the dance called "Lick It" which is "a dance as free as your sexuality", as the poster says. Pretty much, it's the night before the Gala, which is a really classy party where people dress up and dance to swing music. Anyways, Lick It is when people come to a dance in hardly any clothing (some guy last year just came with a sock positioned in just the right place (or the wrong place, if you're into that sort of thing)). So at the table in which Barbara was working at, she had a gay pride flag and a bucket full of condoms. They, as Barbara so kindly told me, were "Premiums" and came from Malaysia. Now, it's great that Outfront is advocating for safe sex, but they probably got those condoms for cheap. And cheap condoms are probably not something people want to use. But what do I know? Maybe these generic brands of condoms work just as well as Trojans. Maybe they're both of the same quality? Anyways, the reason why I bring this up is that at breakfast time I saw Barbara with the bucket full of condoms and I walked over to her and gave her a dandelion that I picked. We talked for a bit and then went to class. And while we were walking she stated this beautiful sentence:
"I've got my flower, I've got my condoms, today is going to be a good day." 

And with that, I bid you adieu. 

1 comment:

  1. People you knew had loud sex for an hour? Because even if that's funny it sounds kind of awkward.

    I do like the quote. The dance also sounds a bit fawkward. Good luck navigating the social sphere of your crazy Maine school.

    ReplyDelete