Friday, November 9, 2012

The Road Goes Ever On and On

Mammoth got six inches today. Li' dat.

Before I talk about this week, I need to address something that happened a few weeks ago that I intended on mentioning in whatever week's blog post that was, but forgot to do so. That sentence was horribly constructed. I'm going to leave it as is to serve as a reminder of how far I have yet to go. Anyway, the thing I need to talk about is the best game of Settlers I have ever played. Throughout the entire game, I built exactly one road and zero settlements, while my three opponents expanded and fortified in the usual way. I was locked in, you see, and I didn't have many options, geographically speaking. So I turned to development cards. Oh boy did I ever turn to development cards. All in all, I purchased fourteen of them, and I had as many as eleven in my hand at once. For most of the game, therefore, the only thing I did was activate knights and grab the Largest Army designation and the two points that come with it. So when we were about 80% through the game (though at the time my opponents would likely have assumed we were more like 60% through), I had four points (my two original settlements and the two points for my army) while everyone else had, if memory serves, seven or eight. And that was when I saw that the rock deck was down to only a couple of cards, and I had only a couple of rocks in my hand. So I flipped Monopoly and proceeded to gather enough rock to buy my way to another few D-cards and a city. I then waited patiently for three or four more turns, by which point Kevin (not Dales, sorry) had nine points. It was then that I struck. Five points showing (2 for city, 2 for army, 1 for settlement), I bought a second city and flipped four victory point cards. Five points to ten, last place to first, all in the amount of time it takes to flip a hand. And that, my friends, is how you settle Catan. I believe a celebration in in order:


I watched ECACs in Williamstown, Massachusetts on Saturday. That was fun. Yep.

On Monday I, along with four partners, presented a geography . . . presentation . . . in which we analyzed the flooding of New Orleans as a result of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. We looked at it from a physical perspective (deforestation's contribution to flooding, what exactly happened with the levees and floodwalls, which areas of the city were hit worst because of topography, etc.) and a social perspective (which demographics lived in the worst-hit areas, which neighborhoods have been rebuilt and which are still almost deserted today, and the effect of different warning and evacuation systems). I'm telling you all this because I get the impression you guys still don't really know what you do in a geography class.
We did have another lab due today in that same class; this one focused on the economic restructuring of the manufacturing industry in the U.S. that has been going on since 1970. You know, manufacturing jobs moving from cities to suburbs and rural areas, or moving from the north and the east to the south and the west. All that, plus six more pages of stuff, plus seven maps. That's the cool thing about geography. In both my geography classes, I've attached maps to every paper I've written, because the paper is only part of the assignment. Maps, maps, lots of maps.
Speaking of which, today I got back a map comparison paper that I wrote for my history of cartography class, and I got 25/25 on it. Very relieving and encouraging. I think I may take my professor in that class as my advisor once I declare my major. Which I guess I should get around to doing.

Today's Qur'an class was fun. We divided in half and had a class debate between Islamic fundamentalists and Sufis. I chose the fundamentalist side, because, at least in my sometimes humble opinion, if you're going to believe a holy book, you may as well go all the way. As a result of the debate, that class went by faster than it ever had before.

I'm roughly two thirds through Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, and damn is it ever good. The last three books that we've read for that class (Fathers and Children, Turgenev; What Is to Be Done?, Chernyshevsky; Notes From Undergound, Dostoevsky) were all very preachy; it seemed the author's only goal was getting his political or philosophical point across, and in each case he was willing to do that at the expense of the story. But in Crime and Punishment, he does both. I'll say a final word about it next week, but I don't think I'll have much bad to say about it. What I will do this week, though, is show you the map in the back of the book. Because maps are the best.
The numbers and letters correspond to places of significance in the novel. Duh.
Oh yeah, Tuesday was election day. I knew something else happened this week. I watched it with a bunch of XC guys, almost all of whom were Obama supporters. Of the fifteen or so people in the room, one voted for Romney, two voted for Johnson (including yours truly), and two didn't vote. An explosive gathering, to be sure.

In a few hours, I'm hopping in a car and driving, with a bunch of other XCers, to the house of someone on the team, which is ideally located in Albany, partway between Middlebury and Westfield State, which is where tomorrow's race will be held. Those that are actually racing (only our top 7 now) are already on a bus headed straight there.

There were definitely more things that happened this week. Time to stretch the brain.

I remembered one thing! Yesterday, one of the dining halls had applesauce brownies, and they may well be the greatest things that I have ever laid taste buds upon. Which is, of course, a little bit of an exaggeration. But not a lot bit of one.

Another thing! I have been adding to my To-Do list, and the focus of the last several days has been marathons I want to run. Take a look at some of these beauts:
Valley of Fire Marathon, Nevada
Big Sur International Marathon, California
St. George Marathon, Utah
Estes Park Marathon, Colorado
Lost Dutchman Marathon, Arizona
I realize I put pictures of places I haven't been to in a lot of my blog posts. And if the purpose of this blog is to discuss things that have actually happened in the past week, perhaps I'm not adhering to that as strictly as I could be. But I think the things I think about in a week should also be fair game, which is why I include these kinds of things. I can talk about what I learned in such and such class all I want, and I do enjoy doing that, but I'd also like to give an accurate impression of the things I find important, so I'll continue to do this sort of thing.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to complain about how cold it's been. Well, I'll do that here and now:
It's been really cold and it sucks. I've been wearing gloves on top of other gloves, and putting mittens around them. By the way, that's not true at all. That would be absurd and counterproductive. But I have been wearing gloves.
Gloves.

9 comments:

  1. Cold weather is the bane of my existence. It was 41 yesterday morning. I died.

    Do you love it when fantasy novels include maps of their universes? I find it kind of cool, but not very useful at all. It doesn't seem to add enough to be worth it imo. I could see you disagreeing which is why I ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's literally twice the temperature it was here this week.

    Yes, I do appreciate maps in books, fantasy and otherwise. I actually find it annoying when I can't place the events of a story on a map. I usually have a bookmark on the map page because I check it so often when I'm reading. Such is the case with Crime and Punishment. I check the map every time they mention a place or a route.
    I admit I'm puzzled as to how you don't find them useful. Take The Name of the Wind. Without a map, you wouldn't know where Tarbean, the University, Imre, the Aturan Empire, the Commonwealth, Vintas, Tinue, Modeg, or Ademre are in relation to one another. Which leads me to ask, when you read that Kvothe goes to Tarbean, do you not instantly flip to the map to verify Tarbean's location? I assume you do; I assume everyone does. But your question makes me think that maybe this is not the case. I am curious, and I would appreciate multiple opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Name of the Wind is the one exception. Because it spans so many locations I do use the map for that book quite frequently. However I remember reading many a book with maps in which I do not even bother using throughout the novel. I guess my feeling comes from when authors' put a great deal of detail in their maps but only use a portion of it. Sadly I cannot list any book by name except maybe Eragon (which could be argued is a terrible example because although I believe the first book to be entertaining the second left me with little conviction to finish the series, which consequentially is exactly what happened) in which I constantly found myself going back to the map when a reference to a location was made, finding only that I already knew the one piece of information that the map would tell me, which was "west" or "east" or so on and so forth. Maybe I just haven't read enough books that make use of their maps. I just feel like if you're going to put effort into a map, it better give me something more than just the direction the place is on a compass rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the maps, but I rarely check them. The topography of the narrative is what I'm focusing on.

    C&P used to be the AP summer reading. After 8 yrs of it, though, I wanted a change. I enjoy it, though I'd like to hear your opinion on the epilogue -- I have issues with it. Fun fact (that may be super-dated, but still): the old TV series Columbo, with Peter Falk? Deliberately modeled on Pytor Petrovich, super detective. Was watching it one day and it so reminded me of C&P that I had to go and look it up.

    So your alma mater produced Hamlet this year. With no Fortinbras, and Polonius sort of Machiavellian. Parts of it worked. In other news, we're reading the play right now, except we haven't read any aloud yet. Don't know how that's working, but at least I don't have to be an acting coach for two hours a day.

    That is currently, all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geography class sounds cool, and I understand slightly better what it means. When you talked about attaching maps, I refused to picture anything other than crayon color coding. I win.

    I agree about the religion thing--if I were religious, man would I be religious. Thankfully I'm not.

    What is the longest distance you've run in a race? I've done a 10k. Would like to start running again and do a half marathon maybe (with walking, of course). Also I bet the Big Sur marathon was a pretty picture but there seems to be an error in its place.

    Sorry about the cold. Cold sucks. Southern California is so pretty ): Why did we leave. Oh right, growing up and college and all that dumb stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason: I think the Eragon map was more useful than you're giving it credit for. I urge you to take another look at that map and then rethink whether or not you can get all that information from the text. And you say you use the NotW map because the book spans many places? I think they go to many more places identified on the map in Eragon than in NotW.

    Ms. T: I haven't read the epilogue yet, but when I do I'll say a few things about it.
    Interesting to do that with Polonius. Is he trying to be Machiavellian, but just bad at it? Something has to go wrong at some point. That might be entertaining to watch.

    Rachael: I've done a couple 10ks, but both of them were in early summer, which is one of the two parts of the year (the other being early winter) when I am in the worst shape, as a result of the nature of the XC-track calendar.
    I don't know why there seems to be an error in the place of the Big Sur picture; I wasn't organizing the pictures in any particular way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I'll reread Eragon but from what I can recall I didn't find the map that useful. It might become more useful if you read all four books in the trilogy but I still stand by my opinion that I found the NotW map more useful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Derek: I'm saying it doesn't show a picture of the Big Sur race. I wasn't saying there was an error in the placement (like order), I was saying there was an error (in this case a URL) rather than a picture

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jason: Hmmm. I guess it's just personal preference. I'm still not sure how the Eragon map could be less useful than the NotW map, even if you just take the first book and ignore the others. It is the more detailed of the two, after all. I suppose everyone just uses these maps a little bit differently. For those that aren't as concerned with the fictional geography, I guess those details may not be important.

    Rachael: Hmmm again. In each picture, I endeavored to find a picture that best represents the scenery of each marathon, and if it includes people running, that's just a bonus. The Valley of Fire Marathon picture doesn't show runners either, unless they're really tiny and I can't see them.
    But if you really want to see a picture of people running the BSIM, I am happy to oblige:

    http://www.bsim.org/Assets/PG+Thumbnail+2012.JPG

    ReplyDelete