Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Home is where the PIE IS.

Hello dear readers,

My week has been fairly interesting, I would say. However, these past few days have been pretty average due to the fact that most of my time has been spent writing a paper, doing homework and watching tv shows stored up on my DVR. But Wednesday and Thursday were sort of interesting. So let us start there.



Wednesday evening for debate we had this debating exercise called "5 minute rounds" where you have to write a case really fast, and then do the debate round in 5 minutes instead of the usual 50 minutes. It was a lot of fun, especially because we wrote really silly cases and were not serious about our debating format at all. Some of the cases include "stop dog shows and give the money to orphans", "debates should have a hazing process", "It should be mandatory that people sing for at least 5 minutes a day" and more. Then we went to Harvest Dinner, where there is a lot of Thanksgiving food. I spent like 10 minutes eating and then went to go write an essay.

Thursday I had brunch with Matt, Amit, and Julia. Then I went to class. Then debate. At dinner I ate with some debaters and some non-debaters. Then I played bananagrams with Taylor and Matt. But Taylor had to go take pictures at this event where a poet read some of his pieces of work. I decided to tag along. After listening to the poet speak, I was inspired to write poetry. So Taylor and I went to "The Ronj" (coffee shop) and we got chai tea and hot cocoa. We then found a nice quiet room to be artsy in. I wrote self indulgent poetry while Taylor read Russian literature. We then got caught up in a conversation with this boy named Joseph and talked about life and the government and fluoride in toothpaste, among other things. We then taught him how to play "Snatch". which is a game played with Bananagram tiles. I want to teach you guys that game. It is amazingly fun.

Friday was an interesting day. And by interesting, I mean chaotic and horrible. At twelve o'clock I got on an airport shuttle. I then went through all the fun of driving for an hour, getting through security, and then sitting for 4 hours for the flight to finally board.
Oh, but SURPRISE! The flight is delayed for 2 hours because of weather issues in Chicago. Which would be fine if I didn't have a connecting flight that would have left before I got to Chicago. So I had to re-schedule my flight. And the only option was to leave for D.C. at nine the next morning and then fly to LAX after that.
 Luckily, my friend Kate has an aunt and uncle who live in Portland, so she so kindly invited me and Adina (who lives in Newport too) over to her aunt and uncle's place. We were then picked up by her relatives, had dinner and then went to their house. An issue that occurred was that my suitcase was only filled with books and summer dresses instead of things I might ACTUALLY need like a toothbrush and pajamas. I didn't think I'd be needing those things, so I had to borrow them from her aunt. I felt like a real nuisance.
Anyways, the next day we woke up at five thirty and drove to the airport. I then did all of that fun airport stuff again and sat around until my flight boarded. Then I flew to D.C., where I frantically searched for Rachael from the plane's window. But alas, she was not there. I was sorely disappointed.  I got a burrito (so endearingly named the "no meat-o burrito") and then it was time for the next flight to LAX. On the plane flight I read "The Hunger Games", wrote poetry, and napped. It was actually a pretty nice flight. Although, "The Hunger Games" may be a bit overrated. I mean, sure, the dystopian story line is an excellent idea, but the writing style was sub-par. I'm glad I read it, though.
Regarding the poetry, I have been writing quite a bit of it lately. And unlike Rachael, I'm going to force you guys to read some of mine. Just two lines. I swear you'll like it. Just kidding, I don't swear . . . also, you'll hate it:


There is a place that authors live when they can't work or think or talk
It is a street in the town of Literature, and it is called the writer’s block. 

Get it? Get it!?! Even my poetry has puns! YES!
Anyways, I finally got home around 3:30, my dad picked me up, I watched some television with my mom, ate some food, and then went to sleep at around 8:30. So, what I'm trying to say is that I'm a BAMF.

This is when my week gets boring. I've been working on my paper and homework for the past few days, and the interesting parts of those past days have been:

1) I went to visit (in order of appearance) Ms. Mayberry, Walters, and Topping. 
2) I got a hair cut.
3) I went to the dentist.
4) I had pie.

Hey, weren't we supposed to go to Cha tonight or something?

- Nicole 

P.S. I lied last Wednesday, I didn't put a lie in this post.

2 comments:

  1. That is very true, sir. I was happy to see you guys again. Sorry for slapping you in the face.


    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete