Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween! I'm Staying In...

Hello my boo-tiful ghosts,

I'm going to make this post a short one because I have a paper to write, and then another one to outline because I need to write it tomorrow. So I'm just going to do a quick re-cap from Thursday to today.

On Thursday Victoria and I  drove the hour it takes to get to Portland to pick up Colin from the airport (Victoria is the best friend a girl could have and drove me up there because I am afraid of cars, getting lost, driving and death in general.) I was waiting in the parking lot at 10:40 and Colin had not yet responded to my texts as to whether he had landed yet (he should have) and then I had this cold, sinking feeling in my chest where I realized he might have said that his plane was taking off at 10:30 from D.C. , and not landing in Portland at 10:30. I ran into the airport to check when flights from D.C. were arriving and saw that they were all at 11:45. I quickly texted Colin asking if by 10:30 he meant he was taking off at 10:30 and his response?

"Yes". He told me that he had not even gotten on the plane yet. I raged back to the car where Victoria was sitting and sat down, ranting to her about how stupid I was and how we were going to have to wait another hour until Colin arrived at the airport. I then looked up and saw Colin standing in front of the car smiling, suit on, suitcase beside him.

I then started yelling profanities at him from inside the car about how he was a big f--freaking liar and how he was the biggest troll on the planet. But then he hugged me and gave me a stolen Record book from the White House and I was mollified.

What have we learned from this experience? You can buy Nicole's forgiveness.

Anyways, Colin stayed over at Bates Thursday night, the debaters went to Brown for a tournament, and Colin and Taylor dressed up as the main characters from the movie "Moonrise Kingdom" and looked amazingly adorable:


Anyways, the Brown Tournament was fine. Nothing to elaborate upon. Colin, Matt, Vic and I drove back in the smaller van, stopped off at Chipotle (pronounces "Chip-poe-tull", of course), and then got home at a reasonable hour (ish).

The interesting part of this week could be chalked up to Sandy (You know Sandy, right? Long blond hair, blue eyes, wind gusts of up to 94 mph, and a predilection for causing mass quantities of property destruction? Yeah, her. Bitch.) Colin, who was expecting to leave Bates at around 7:30 on Sunday ended up (after a massive amounts of cancellations, rescheduling and compromising) leaving today in the early morning. Unexpected? Yes. Sort of what I secretly hoped for so that I could spend time with a close friend of mine? Maybe. An event which caused me to blow off writing two papers that are now due extremely soon? Yep. Yep yep yep.

So Colin and I ended up spending more time together than we expected, although granted he spent a lot of that time sleeping. What was great was that he was back on campus for homecoming weekend when all of the other recent graduates also returned to Bates. Reunions abound!

My favorite part of the week of unexpected storms was Monday night when Colin and I were up in my room and we realized Commons was already closed for the night. We decided to order Dominoes and force someone to drive in the blustery storm to give us food. Two medium sized pizzas and four molten lava cakes. We then proceeded to have deep conversations, less deep conversations and watched Breaking Bad. It was glorious.

Enough about that, though. Tonight is Halloweeeeeeen! I was planning on reciting a poem about Halloween at Pause tonight (It's like a meeting thing with art and silence and spiritual undertones) but I chickened out because my poem, although supposed to be a joke, always seemed to mushy and stupid every time I read it aloud.

So that's that.

Actually, that's sort of all I have to say. I'm excited to get this week over with so I can go back to normal life without hurricanes, friends who  simultaneously overstay their welcome and leave too soon, and papers about topics that are easy to write about but sort of tedious and secretly sort of tough to write about.

I just want. To have time. For friends. Please. Just. Please.

Over and out,

Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an exciting week. My Halloween was nonexistent. Sandy didn't help. And it being on a Wednesday made it kind of impossible to celebrate. That's a really funny Colin story and I like the picture as well. (:

    ReplyDelete