Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sexism: three fewer letters and it'd be a lot more awesome.

Salutations, attractive readers! By the way, I'm not saying that I'm only acknowledging the readers with good looks, I'm saying all the readers of this blog are good looking. So congratulations, you're quite easy on the eyes! Wow, I'm already rambling.
Onwards? Onwards!



I will start my week on Friday, because nothing interesting happens until the weekend, amiright? I'm not, but just go with it.
On Friday, I went to this thing called class, and it was pretty cool. There was, like, learning and stuff. As you can tell by my superior writing style (see previous sentence), I've learned a lot at college. It doesn't rhyme with knowledge for nothing, amiright? Once again, no, I am not right. The fact that two words rhyme means nothing pertaining to their similarities or association. If this were true, women and awesome would rhyme, and rape and grape would not. Darn it, I'm rambling again, aren't I?
Okay, Friday night was probably one of the most fun nights of all of my college experience. At six o'clock, some of the freshman debaters (and I guess a few sophomore debaters as well) gathered around a table at Commons and consumed mass quantities of food (as per usual). We then traipsed over to the ground floor of PGill and watched an episode of the BBC's "Sherlock", which is quite an excellent show. To all you "Doctor Who" fans, it's created and written by Steven Moffat, so you know it's good. After we watched the episode of "Sherlock", we went on a scavenger hunt where a few riddles were hidden around the campus, including in the mouth of a unicorn statue that is hidden in a secluded garden at Bates College. After the hunt for riddles we decided to go to one of the theater's prop rooms to mess around. There were swords and cameras and guns involved. Quite an exciting time. Soon we grew bored of pretending to murder one another, so we climbed down the ladder that led up to the prop room (Did I mention the prop room is fifty feet above the theater? And frighteningly precarious? Well it is.) and told each other fake stories about the KBG, poor people hospitals, dragons, debaters and murrrderrrrr. After the sophomores left to study (psssh, what is this, college?) the freshmen decided to play Taboo. So Gillian and Matt went of to go get the game while Amit, Jackson, John and I explored the theater, including the area above the stage where all the stage rigging was. You know that scene in "Phantom of the Opera" where the Phantom runs into the rigging man above the stage and then hangs him? It looked like that. And I thought of that scene the entire time I was up there. It was a bad move on my part.
Then we all climbed down and played Taboo. Which turned into Charades. Which then turned into the most epic game of group Charades one could ever fathom. IT WAS GLORIOUS. By that time, it was almost midnight, so we decided to go to bed. JUST KIDDING WE DECIDED TO GO TO MILT'S (the college's late night food place near Commons). It turned midnight and we all screamed at Matt "Happy Birthday!" because, as you may have anticipated, it was his birthday. We then got snacks (I got a grilled cheese) and made "bro" jokes all night (Examples include "What's a bro's favorite element? BROmine!" or "What does a Bro call a a group of complex organic macromolecules that are composed of one or more chains of amino acids? BROtein!" If you were wondering, those were the jokes I contributed to the discussion.) Finally, we ran out of Bro jokes and I went back to my dorm and fell asleep. 


On Saturday, it was Matt's birthday, so Taylor and I hung out with him for a while. And then I re-wrote my letter for the secret Santa (snowflake!) gift exchange. And then I did laundry and took a shower. While I was hanging up my laundry I decided I needed to write a birthday poem for Matthew. Which I did in ten minutes. It was full of inside jokes and had a horrible rhythm to it. It was just a bad poem. Then we all gathered around for dinner at Commons with Matthew. We sang him happy birthday and got the whole cafeteria to join in. It MAY have been a little embarrassing for him. After that, I went to my dorm room and got all 60'd up for the Mad Men party. The party was a bag of fun, let me tell you. There was some sexism, as expected. I accidentally conformed to the expectations of a female and picked up a cup that had fallen down on the ground when told to do so. In my defense, I just didn't want anyone to trip on the cup . . . and no one else was picking it up. Then, of course, I was told I looked like a "mother" in my outfit. Oh, also, the person I my gift was for didn't show up. And it turns out the guy who I was going to give my gift to was the same guy who WAS SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME MY GIFT. So I was left with nothing but my lonesome. But I'll find him and I'll give him my gift if it takes me all year. 
The party was winding down and Matt was drunker than he had ever been before, so instead of going to the next party hot spot, Matt went to my room and sort of re-oriented himself. We talked about alcohol and him not being able to call on his "sober self". We also talked about Prom and his ex-girlfriend. He was very chatty, to say the least. Then Lydia came back to the dorm room and I kicked Matt out (by this time he was sobering up). I then went to sleep.


On Sunday I studied for my future finals.


On Monday I studied for my finals.


On Tuesday I studied for my finals.


Today I took a final.


Tomorrow I will take a final.


Friday, I will take a final.


Love you guys,


Nicole 

9 comments:

  1. http://www.ifc.com/videos/wkuk-graped-season-3.php

    Point proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do well on the finals...or Jason will grape you. HE'S DONE IT TO ME AND HE'LL DO IT AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this Matt character like you? What is this about re-orienting himself? Good luck on finals and don't get graped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No he does not. He also reads this blog now. I meant 'sobering up'. Thanks for the luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sorry. I understand. It just went over my head. I'm sort of a simpleton. Hi, Matt. You clearly don't have good taste in women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if he doesn't like Nicole he can't possible have good taste in women.

    ReplyDelete