Thursday, September 22, 2011

ELLO ELLO ELLO!

Why is my title british and yelling?  I DON'T KNOW!  Anyhow, my week was interesting.  LET'S HEAR ABOUT IT.

SATURDAY LAST: I woke up, then chilled out in the common room till we all went to OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).  It was fun, but I was expecting a discovery science museum.  What it ended up being was LOOK KIDS LOOK HOW NARNIA IS ACTUALLY ALL ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING.  ALSO, WE HAVE LIKE TWENTY FETUSES.
Apparently all I remember from this Museum.
 Why?  I don't know.  (Also, I think that the plural for fetus is feti.  Look at all these things I don't know).  Pictures on facebook, including one of Ted in a GIANT EAR HOLY SHIT.  Then, when I got back I played a role-playing-game (think D&D) called Call of Cthulhu.  Basically, you make characters and then go to a creepy mansion and try to investigate.  My character was an old British man who had fought in the Boer War and was a champ with a gun and a pretty good doctor too.  Ted played my son, a flimsy photographer obsessed with the occult, who disappointed his dad when he didn't join the army during the first world war.  Our dynamic was great. Liz played a fifteen year old girl who was involved in a gang.  They did drive-byes, apparently.  In the twenties (her character was the first to die).  James played a Communist revolutionary.  He survived with full health and only missing two points of sanity, the lucky bastard.  Varchas played as a mechanic who loved to just...be a dick.  My character shot him while I was possessed by a demon.  Then, seeing this, my son shot me.  It was a good time.

SUNDAY LAST: I woke up and got involved in another game, this time D&D and it'll be ongoing (this is what living in the sci-fi/fantasy dorm does to you).  My character in this one is an elf alchemist.  I make bombs.  And extracts.  So that should be fun.  Then I went to another Iphigenia rehearsal where I realized I hate it so much I'm going to drop the show.  After the rehearsal...I think I just came back and bitched.
Is this the man that
killed your husband?
OH WAIT NO I came back and watched a movie with Autumn and Stephen and Ted called Rubber.  It's literally a movie about a tire that goes around and kills people with psychokinetic powers.  It's just the right amount of bullshitty and funny to be enjoyable.  Thoroughly enjoyable.

MONDAY LAST:  I woke up, went to class.  Then...that's about it.

TUESDAY LAST: I woke up, went to class.  This day I had a theatre class, so I politely told Kathleen (my theatre professor/director) that I was wondering if I could drop the show.  She was super nice and said I was the most talented in the male chorus (if you had met them, not a huge compliment, but it still meant a lot to me) then asked me to attend one more rehearsal, which was that night, and see if I still wanted to drop the show.  I came, I saw, I dropped.

YESTERDAY:  I woke up, went to class.  Then, A MIRACLE.  MY CHEMISTRY LAB PARTNER IS COOL AND SMART.  HOLY FUCK.  I got there like 5 minutes late so everyone had chosen their partners (and these are our permanent partners, not like the last two labs where they're temporary) and I was like FUUUUUUUUU so I was like "Who doesn't have a partner" and this girl was like "Oh I don't!" and I was like "Oh hey, my name is Rich" and she was like "Yeah, I remember you.  You sang at that orientation thing.  You were funny and good."  And I was like oh, okay.  Weird.  THEN SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING DURING THE LAB AND HOLY FUCK I AM SO HAPPY THAT MY LAB PARTNER IS SMART.  =D

TODAY:  Okay so I woke up today and went to class.  Then stuff happened.  Then I came inside and talked about how disappointed I am in the theatre department here, and someone was like "Hey, there's always shoestring" which reminded me I have a show I want to put on here called The Last 5 Years.  It's a musical about a married couple, but the really cool thing is that the two characters' timelines are in reverse.  So the first song is the wife singing about how they're divorced, and the second is the man singing about the first time he's ever seen her.  The only duet in the whole show is right in the middle, when they get married.  It's an amazing show.

This song is the last one in the show.  The wife is singing about how great their first day was, and the husband is justifying their divorce (around 3:00).  Not the best, but does a good example of showing what it's all about.  Also, there's some amazing musical symbolism throughout this play.  I LOVE it, but I won't expound upon my love here.

TOUR: Okay, I really liked Derek's post, so I'll do a quicky here.

My dorm!
The blue bridge, which I take to class, when it has snow.  My favorite part of campus.  Goes over the canyon.  Amazing.  I'll take some pictures of my own some time.


Grey Common Center, or Commons, which is where I acquire delectable treats.
Eliot Hall again, but with random asian girl.
Eliot Hall, which is a pretty building that houses our administration. 
The library, where...books are.
Library interior!
 
 
A bad picture of Vollum College Centre, which has a huge lecture hall for all us freshlings and our intro classes.

4 comments:

  1. Your dorm looks like a greenhouse. I'm green . . . with envy.
    I love how classy and old school your library is.
    And I'm really happy about you completely immersing yourself in geekdom. Please keep us updated on how D&D is going.
    And a note to everyone else: Reading this with Rich's voice in your head makes it a lot more entertaining. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you telling me about that play! Sounds interesting, good luck getting it started! I miss our nights at Cha, I don't have anyone here that can replace those long nights. And yes, interpret that as gay as you wish, the intent was there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I read it in Rich's voice! That's expected. Also, Rich, when you talked about the couple singing about their lives, but on opposite time lines I automatically thought "A couple on different time lines? The Doctor and River Song!"
    Nerds are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha actually, one of my friends made a stage adaptation of midnight. And I've been told to audition for the part of the dad. Who wants to kill everyone.

    ReplyDelete