Friday, September 9, 2011

I worked so hard to get this put online, so love me.


Evening, fellow bloggers.
I’ve been thinking about what to talk about for a while, and naturally all of it escapes me now. But the nugget of wisdom I’ve mined from college thus far is this:

-It’s all about having your hands full.
Physically: how do you close an umbrella while holding a purse, laptop, key card, textbook, newspaper, and hot chocolate all while opening a door to avoid getting drenched? Mentally: college, at its worse, is hell, and at its best is heaven. Not HELL, hell; I’m happy here. But there are moments of how-the-FUCK-am-I-supposed-to-read-two-newspapers-daily-AND-everything-else-you’ve-assigned-me? and wow I miss people.

Oh, but the heavenly moments! The exciting, roller coaster, how did I get so lucky moments! My professor’s (late) husband was the director of the CIA and she has worked for USAID (International Development *swoon*), has served as ambassador for 10 countries (the youngest ambassador ever, at 32), and knows more about everything than I know about anything. International Development may be the quickest ticket to saving the world... I’m in love.

I saw a Pulitzer Prize winner talk about his book and move the audience to tears. I’m seeing Jane Goodall (NICOLE!) talk about peace, not monkeys, but hopefully how to make peace via monkeys. I found my favorite spot in D.C., at least to date. It’s a fountain right by the National Gallery of Art where people come to talk and dip their feet in, and in the winter they turn it into an ice skating rink. I tasted the best hot chocolate I’ve ever had and have been addicted ever since (in the cozy student-run spot in my school’s building). I’ve survived an earthquake (the biggest in decades), a hurricane, and oh about five days of rain. It was starting to feel like Forks, Washington, not D.C. And thank you, Derek, for checking on me concerning Irene. So that’s the heaven about college.

My roommate and I get along well. In a nut shell, she’s from the Virgin Islands. That probably doesn’t mean much to you, because it didn’t mean anything to me before three weeks ago, but basically she’s way tougher than any of us (she can say “Time for a beat down” and not look stupid) and is an amazing dancer. And thankfully is allergic to alcohol, apparently that’s possible, so there will be no drunken hellish nights.

Oh lord, I had to sign up for an extra class to get enough credits to go for the dean’s list. Weight training. I am so weak. Not weak enough that Nicole could kill me, if it came down to it, but weak enough to dread weight training. Oh well, I’m going to come home and kick your butt if you quit on this blog. That is now a real threat (=

It’s been a pleasure reading each of your entries thus far and I can tell you why I’m excited to be writing with each of you (and maybe provide some advice!), starting with Monday:

-Derek, you would have failed stats for never doing your homework if not for me. And there is something about an AP Stats companionship that just sticks with you. You’re probably the laziest valedictorian, but also the sweetest (Jason IS a Slytherin, after all) and I’m proud to be your friend. Advice- Please hook up with Barvin during the next four years.

-Jason, someday we will be on the Amazing Race together, and we can say that we are co-bloggers. Not really but it is something we have in common. Someday you will cure cancer and develop a good taste in girls and I can’t wait for the more important of those two. Cha in many ways defined my senior year and I’m glad you were apart of it. Advice- stop being such a boozehound and get your shit together.

-Nicole, we’ve been together since brown paper bags and unexpected accents, through too many boys than I’d like to remember, and through adventures I’ll relive for the rest of my life. You are at time sassy, shocking, and incredibly kind. At all times you are a beautiful person and singer, and a great pal to have around. Advice- Remember at all times what a catch you are and don’t hesitate. Dive in. Remember that Mark Twain quote.

-Rich, I’m interested in Reed because Reed is fucking awesome. I’m looking forward to reading about how you’re going to tie theater and whatever bio science you’re doing together. And I haven’t been to Portland but I know it’s a great city. Also interested in you posting up music because you have good taste and also I like Megan. Advice- Don’t gain the freshman fifteen? I dunno.

Saw several a cappella groups perform, and here's a highlight:



Some piccys: Giant door to the Archives (giant!)



















Devin and I on Skype (=

2 comments:

  1. Give the a cappella a chance it gets hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was like "That just looks like a regular door." Then I saw you standing below it. Then I peed.

    ReplyDelete