Thursday, September 8, 2011

Profanity. Did you miss me?

Hello everyone!  This is Rich.  I'm the thursday guy.  Also, I'm the one going to Reed.  So I guess I'll start talking now.

I live in a divided triple with Kevin Mitchell and Ted Sand.  They're cool kids.  We're in the sci-fi fantasy dorm, which at first I was a bit nervous about cause I didn't want to be way out-nerded, but I'm doing alright.  Copious Firefly/Doctor Who knowledge is saving my life.  Okay but anyway.  I'm just going to do this a week at a time, brief summary of HOW AWESOME MY LIFE IS.  And even though it's been more than a week since I wrote...fuck all y'all, I'll do what I want.  (This post will have short days because I kind of just realized I would be writing it like this, so I can't quite remember every thing that happened all these days.)



FRIDAY LAST: I did a bio lab.  It was super SUPER boring.  Then some friends and I went to this thing where everyone sings folk songs and gets drunk (SLUR--Singing Loudly Unto Reed).  I didn't get drunk, but did get folksy.  It was fun.

Who doesn't?
SATURDAY LAST: I woke up at like 10 o'clock and came up into the common room.  It turns out that it was waffle-bacon-pancake-ice-cream-paint-the-windows day, which was amazingly awesome.  We painted all sorts of stuff on the three dorms that make up the sci-fi/fantasy theme (Woodbridge [me], McKinley, and Griffith).  Also holy shit I don't know if you guys have read Game of Thrones, but I just remembered what someone painted of it and I can't recommend it enough.  It's a super-duper awesome fantasy book.  With sex and murder in it! =D  Anyway, Ted and I painted this comic across our bottom floor windows.  Here is an example panel.

Artist's Rendition
Okay so after I was done painting windows and all that, I started to pack because I went up to Tacoma for the long weekend!  My friend Anna Laura and her boyfriend drove me to the train station, and I took a really pretty train ride up to Tacoma on Saturday night.  Megan came to pick me up in a rented car, but she thought the train station was the bus station.  Rather than call me and figure out where I was using GPS, she decided to get out of her car at like 10:30 PM and walk around.  With one other college girl.  In fucking sketch-ville Tacoma.  As they were walking around, they saw this ambulance pulled off on the side of the road.  Okay, that seems fine.  Some nice public service people doing their job, that's all well and good.  FUCK NO.  SUDDENLY THIS GUY STEPS OUT FROM BEHIND IT IN A CLOWN MASK AND STARES AT THEM.  NOT OKAY WITH THE RICHARD.  But all was well and we returned to their college rape free.

SUNDAY LAST: I woke up and was like WHOA I'M IN A DIFFERENT COLLEGE!  Megan and I woke up got her friends (who are all cool) and had breakfast, then went to the zoo.  And even though I don't like the zoo, HOLY TITS IT WAS SO MUCH FUN.  There were baby snow leopards and they were adorable and otters and monkeys and lemurs and penguins and puffins and wildebeests and owls and HOLY FUCK.  Fun.  Okay.  So yeah, we hung out there for like all day, then went back to her college and got dinner, which we thought would be pizza from their on-campus-student-run pizza joint, but they ran out of pizza.  HOW THE FUCK DO YOU RUN OUT OF PIZZA?  Don't get me wrong, I'd understand if like...a BBQ place ran out of sushi.  That's okay.  You have other delectable treats to serve.  But a pizza place running out of pizza is like a college running out of knowledge.  Sad and wrong.  Okay but yeah that was a fun day.  I took buttloads of pictures which are now on facebook.  Here's one of Megan with me in the background.

See me on the left?  I changed my hair a bit since we last saw each other.

MONDAY LAST: So Monday we woke up and took me to the train station.  See, trains are a beautiful way to travel.  There's a SHITTON of legroom, beautiful views up here, and it's smooth and quiet so I can read literally 15% of a book in a single 2 hour ride.  It's fucking wonderful.  On the way up, I had nobody sitting next to me, so there was none of that awkward "Who gets the arm rest?" or "HEY LET'S MAKE FRIENDS CAUSE WE'LL NEVER SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN AND I REALLY LIKE TO DO THAT TYPE OF THING SINCE YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT WANT TO READ OR ADMIRE VIEWS OR ANYTHING, KID WHO OBVIOUSLY WANTS TO READ AND ADMIRE VIEWS".  On the way back down, someone's ticket was in the little ticket holder thing, but there was nobody sitting there, so I was stoked and just assumed that someone had forgotten their ticket.  How wrong one can be.  During the last 20 minutes of the ride (so close!) this woman in her mid-twenties, short brown hair, angry purple bags under her eyes, all dressed up in track-suit, came staggering down the aisle.  She says (in a voice much like Ms Marseilles') "You're in my seat"
"Oh, am I?"
"Yeah"
/checks "Oh you're right.  I'll move for you"
"No, it's fine."  Guess she just wanted to bitch at me.
"Oh man, I fucking HATE this trip."
"Well, at least you get leg room."
"No, I mean VISITING MY FAMILY."
Aaaaand thus begins life story of random woman on train.  She's telling me about how her parents are assholes but are 70 and therefore going to die soon so she feels sorta bad, but not that bad.  Then she says how everyone in the bar was rude to her just because she was a "little" mean to the bartender, who was a bitch anyway and shouldn't be working in the service industry.  She then tells me that she's going to fly from now on, since she hates these people on trains and she can't drive because of "all my DUIs".  I continue to get family background until we get to portland, where I can say "Hey, I'd love to talk, but people are waiting for me." Nobody was waiting.  I took a taxi back to Reed.  Fuck that shit.  So I got back, and my little group (who is all from around my stairwell) all went to dinner, ate ice cream, and watched Star Trek.  So that was fun.

Ted, Michael, and Anna Laura
TUESDAY LAST: On tuesday we all had classes, and I (because of several one-time obligations) had class from 9am-9pm.  So that was fun.  When I got back to the dorm, my friend Michael Phelps (yeah, that's his real name) was feeling down in the dumps, so he had gone up to the room directly above mine, in which resides Anna Laura, Susana, and Liz.  In a (successful) attempt to cheer up Michael, Anna Laura put clown makeup on herself and Michael.  Then they put clown makeup on Ted as well, and we walked around the campus as clowns, just saying hi to people.  A video is on facebook, as are pictures.  Then it kinda wound down and we returned to the dorm.  Just as people were about to take off their makeup, the fire alarm went off.  There was a fire drill, so all of the people in our dorm and the four surrounding dorms had to evacuate to the same place.  All while my friends were wearing clown makeup.  It was lolz.

YESTERDAY: Yesterday was kind of a similar drill.  I had class in the morning, then worked on a paper I have to write by saturday.  It's about what the subtle differences each time Homer retells the tale of Penelope weaving and unweaving her shroud tell about the story (thanks Coe!).  We all chilled outside working on the essay, then went to dinner, then came back and worked some more.  Hung out. Went to bed.

Alright, that's it.  Nothing's happened yet today.  I love you all.

-Rich

EDIT: HOLY SHITBALLS SOMETHING JUST HAPPENED.
TODAY: Okay so I auditioned for the fall faculty directed show on tuesday (forgot to mention that) and I got called back!  Tonight at 6 I audition again.  I'm nervous.  Also, I'm taking dance classes on Thursdays.  They're super fun.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOMHM6waxk oh-shit-decemberists.

    Also Game of Thrones is a show on HBO and I haven't seen it but it does have a lot of sex.

    ReplyDelete