Monday, May 14, 2012

Scooby Dooby Doo, Where Are You?

I did many things last week, most of which were very routine and therefore undeserving of mention herein. However, it is my belief that at least a couple of them were slightly less routine and consequently worthy of note, for what is the purpose of this blog if not to expound upon the triumphs and travails of the collegiate week (phrase taken from our 11th grade history textbook, as in "The Triumphs and Travails of the Jeffersonian Republic), even if they are none too triumphant when compared to other triumphs, nor travailent when compared to other travails. Not to be confuse with trivalent. Because one is a word, and one isn't, and in any case I haven't taken a chemistry class since tenth grade, and do not intend to break that trend any time in the foreseeable or unforeseeable future.

And that, my friends and hidden stalkers, is how you talk about talking about your week without actually talking about your week. Let us (as if you had any say) now commence a discussion of the week itself, lest we get a little too meta.
See that little sign to the right of the wardrobe?
I'll begin with a pair of pictures that I took. I did not discover this curiosity recently, but it only occurred to me to include it in this account recently. I think it is amusing, and that is reason enough for it to exist, both in this blog and in world. One of these pictures is an inset of the other, which is trivially obvious to me, but if I omitted from this blog everything that does not fall
Middlebury: Where the cool kids are.
into that category then I would have nothing to post about. And that wouldn't be very fun at all.

I had quite the dream last week, and I know this only because I scribbled its synopsis on a piece of paper immediately after it ended. I know Rachael doesn't like reading about dreams (though I can't figure out why), so I invite her to skip the following paragraph, although I am sure she won't take me up on that offer.

I was competing at an indoor track meet in San Diego, which doesn't make any sense because there are no indoor tracks at southern California schools (because we have awesome weather all the time, unlike some states I could name that start with 'V' and end with 'ermont'). Anyway, Zach Asdourian (who was suddenly on my team again) was running the mile, but I never saw him finish. I do remember, however, that the race starter (that old fat guy with a gun) had to delay the race because Zach had a tough time getting his spikes on. And then my current history professor, a Canadian with the last name Monod, starts lecturing on how the UK is presently turning into a Christian fundamentalist country where everyone adheres to a literal interpretation of the Bible and people who don't are killed, and I walk over to a computer (still at the track) to write a paper on this subject, although I feel as though I can't possibly finish it on time. The computer I'm using, incidentally, is the same exact old Windows that I wrote my actual history paper on in the library. I became so distraught about the paper that I woke up, which led to a great sense of relief, quickly followed by un-relief because I realized my dream was telling me that I really need to get cracking on that paper. Also, it was 8:24 and my class started at 8:40. So I got up, got dressed, walked to Proctor, ate a banana, and made it to class with time to spare because that's what I do.

I did, by the way, finish that history paper. We had seven (I think seven) topics to choose from, and I chose to write about William Hogarth. Mr. Gunnin would be proud. Maybe I'll show him the paper. Seven pages on nothing but "Marriage a la Mode". Not the most interesting thing in the world, but hey, there can only be one most interesting thing in the world, and someone's probably already written about it. WHICH MAKES ME THINK OF BORGES' "LIBRARY OF BABEL'. I didn't even plan that transition, but it works, so yeah, let's pretend I did plan it. Of course, that's going to be tough now that I've just announce to the world that I didn't plan it. Hmm. Hmmm. I don't like the fact that I don't get a red underline for "hmm" but I get it for "hmmm". There, it happened again! Of course, you won't see it because that goes away when I post. Unless . . . Okay, almost. I tried to underline it with red, but the best I could come up with is coloring the whole thing red and underlining it. And now you probably thought those were links. Hmmm. Funny how that works.

So let's talk some 'bout Borges. I finished reading Ficciones, all seventeen stories. Some of them are a lot better than other. One of them is a story-ization of the infinite monkey theorem, which is, believe it or not, a thing. Kinda like how that is, believe it or not, a link. I just finished a paper on a Borges story (not the monkey one), by the way. Only, it wasn't just on a Borges story. It was a comparison between three works: Genesis, The Way to Rainy Mountain, and "The Babylon Lottery" (a story in Ficciones). And I used the word "smorgasbord" in it.
Hopefully it doesn't suck.

My physics professor doesn't suck; maybe he'd have something to say about it. Last week he told us that he needed to get a new computer, so he asked the class what type he should get. The unanimous response was "a Mac", to which he replied, "Well, duh. But which type of Mac?"
Another thing about him: At the beginning of every class period he says, "Ho, time for class." I think he just felt he needed to be quirky to fit in with everyone else here, so he developed the habit of saying that before every single class.
That's some hipster stuff right there.
In my last Biblical Lit discussion everyone said a little something about what they had taken out of the class, and one girl said that she had expected her Christian faith to grow, but after actually reading the Bible she became confused and unsure. Which really makes a lot of sense, given the nature of the stuff we've read.

On Friday afternoon the band "Guster" played a concert on campus. I hadn't heard of them before (surprise, surprise), but this one dude in the back played the bongos with his hands, which made him a badass, which made the experience enjoyable for all spectators, myself included.

I took a walk along Otter Creek on Saturday. Prove it, you say? Very well.





Eventually I came to a place along the river where a fallen tree (from Hurricane Irene) had dropped into the river. As is my custom with trees, I climbed it, but rather more easily than I normally do because it was sideways. When I took out my phone to take a couple pictures (below), I discovered that Nicole had texted me a while ago, so I texted her back and told her I was in a tree. I bring this up for Nicole's sake, so she can identify the tree that she was texted from, which I know must be terribly important to her.


I hope you guys didn't stop checking this blog just because you're home. If you did stop, you should stop stopping and read this instead. You should also read my post next week, unless you don't care, in which case you shouldn't. Next week I'm going to attempt to give a comprehensive review of my school year; if that fails, I'll at least tell a couple of knock-knock jokes or something.

For now, I'll leave you with one last item of stuff. And it is this: I recently remembered my first grade time capsule. Allow me to explain. In June 2000, all the first graders in Miss Woods' Eastbluff Elementary School class made time capsules, and they were instructed not to open them until 2012. I, being one of the few and the proud, the first first graders (We actually were the first first graders; Eastbluff re-opened in the fall of 1999.), have such a time capsule on one of my shelves in my room, and I completely forgot about it when I was home in January. Therefore, I will open it in May. That should be fun. I also ought to mention that one of the items inside the capsule is a little card that reads something like, "My favorite cartoon is", and I scribbled in the blank something (exactly) like "Scooby-Doo". I also remember thinking to myself, Gee, when I'm in college (I was good at math back then) I'm not even going to remember what Scooby-Doo is. Well little Derek, you were WRONG, weren't you? I still remember what Scooby-Doo is, and even remember that I wrote it down on a little slip of paper twelve years ago, and I even even remember thinking that I won't know what Scooby-Doo is twelve years hence.

8 comments:

  1. While I think stop stopping may be paradoxical, that is not what I came here to say.

    I came here to say that I have accepted that PCs and Macs are different and each have their strong points. If anyone chooses not to agree with me on this reasonable and open-minded statement (and favors Macs), then Vae Te.

    I also came here to say that I love the Infinite Monkey Theorem. Just the name alone causes mirth to bubble and churn somewhere around my groin. The actual theorem, which makes theoretical sense, is also good, but is just a variant of what I call quid-quid quod infinatum - whatever because (insert implied 'of' here) infinite. QQQI basically states that if you have infinite of anything, then by basic probabilities, every variant of that anything exists. For instance, if the universe was infinite, there would be a planet with aliens, and another with magic, and another with nothing but friendly, immortal, beautiful, mute, nymphomaniacal women.
    But alas, QQQI does not include 'monkey' in its title, and will therefore forever be an inferior theorem.

    I also liked the tantalizing amount of leg you show. Rawr.

    Finally, you have an insanely impressive memory. And I will keep my opinions of Scooby Doo to myself to avoid offending you, however I will say that Courage was better.

    Finish strong, but more importantly, have fun.
    ~Sim

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^ Just everything that was said above. I literally agree with everything about it. It's almost scary. Too bad we don't agree about the global distribution of water.

    Also, does anyone else find the Narnia series extremely boring? Because I definitely did and can't find the hype in it that is so prevalent among today's culture. Unless it comes from making mediocre movies. Then I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, yeah, PCs and Macs have their own doo-dee-hahs. Whatever.
    You would quote Catullus.
    I am glad you like monkeys. I'd like to point one thing out, though. If our universe was infinite, we'd have everything that is possible within the laws of physics, so unless your definition of magic obeys those laws (which is possible if you define magic a little more conservatively than it is traditionally defined), it would never exist, regardless of the size of the universe.
    I wouldn't be offended by your opinions of Scooby-Doo. I liked in when I was wittle, but it goes without saying that Courage was immeasurably superior.

    Global distribution of water, four billion human lives on a particular continent. Tomaytoes, Tomahtoes.
    I found it boring when I read it the first time, quite a while ago. I think I'd like to re-read The Magician's Nephew though, especially now that I'm all Bible-smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like that one the best out of all of the Narnia books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the distribution of water:
    Everybody should get clean water. I believe that. What I don't believe is me unwillingly paying for clean water for people in Africa. If some philanthropist dearly wants Africans to have clean water, the cost can come out of his/her own pocket. Elsewise, those Africans should become a little more independant and self-sustaining.
    But hey, as Darwin said, survival of the fittest, right?
    Plus from an objective point of view, people dying is good for human population control.
    Still, I DO feel some small stirring of sympathy in my heart for those poor North Koreans... But seriously, if a million are dying each year because of starvation, they should start a fucking rebellion! It's more pathetic than the ho-... I think now would be an auspicious time to digress.

    On the subject of magic, it has been recenly discovered that even the laws of physics in our finite universe are not constant (and if you REALLY want to see my source, say so and I'll post it up later, I'm typing this on my phone); therefore, such an arrangement of physical laws that would produce "magic" could not help existing within an infinite universe. But debating about such things produces just as many results and changed opinions as arguing about the existence of deities. Which is to say none.

    Finally, Narnia; good stories, but way too sheltered (e.g. No cursewords, sex, or any even closely adult topics). And Lewis went overboard in his biblical references. For some reason I am starting to have a growing disdain for people who base their books off of religion (this means YOU Rowling).

    Anyway, that's my three cents, take from it what you will, and try not to hate me too much for the first paragraph; I could've made it much worse.

    Fight the system; kill the Il.
    ~Sim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't necessarily hate reading about all dreams. I like dreams that have real life significance or are explained succinctly. Those are great dreams. Jason has reported about interesting dreams on this blog, and maybe others have as well. The reason I am dream-averse is that I have a brother (Shane) who loves to rant on and on about his dream and unimportant details in that dream that I wouldn't care about even if they were real. So I have become dream gun-shy. However, I appreciate you remembering that about me in itself and your dream paragraph exceeded all expectations.

    Also, I know this doesn't mean this, but "Marriage a la Mode" sounds like "Marriage with Ice Cream on Top" which to me sounds like a very promising union indeed.

    Your "smorgasbord" comment reminds me of Devin's consistent chagrin at my usage of "juxtaposition" or one of its forms in every one of my papers. Quirky words for the win! Although yours is much rarer and less useful than mine, which is a compliment at your ability to include it.

    I like your pictures a lot. The city really looks like Harper's Ferry, or has the same feel to it to me anyway. Don't get mad if that's a bad thing.

    Cool time capsule thing! You'll have to take a picture of the contents for the rest of us. Hope there's some cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the one with the boat right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Max, I will take you up on a non-belligerent (okay, maybe a little belligerent) discussion of any of those issues if you so please.
    For now, I will simply assert that the laws of physics in our universe are definitely constant. We simply don't understand them completely. If it appears that the laws are not constant, then we have the laws messed up.

    No, that's not a bad thing. Harper's Ferry is pretty.

    Yes, that's the one with the boat.

    ReplyDelete