Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Longest Weekend in History! Sort of.

This is not the post where I reminisce about the entire school year. This is not the post where I tell you what I've learned on my journeys through freshman year. This is the post telling you about the longest weekend I have ever experienced and why it felt like it went on for ages. 
We will start off on Thursday, which is the beginning of my weekend once I'm done with my one short term class, Russian and Soviet Film. I'll skip my comments on my radio show and the actual class, because that's not a part of my longest weekend ever. Why? Because I've set up a theme here, and I'm sticking to it. 

So, after class, Taylor, Julia and I borrowed Amy's car to drive to the storage facility which we will be storing our things at over the summer. If you think it's redundant to tell you what we plan on doing at the storage facility, then you do not know the extent of the sketchy activities which transpire at said facilities. Apparently, people have been known to live in their lots and run businesses out of them as well. But, in fact, I didn't learn about these interesting tid-bits until this week. Why do I say that? Because on Thursday when we drove to the storage facility, it had already closed. Poor planning on our part? You might say that. Unless it was our plan all along to borrow a car for seemingly productive purposes only to "forget" that the facility closes early and then have access to the world outside of Bates College due to our ability to drive anywhere we want (It wasn't our plan, but go with it). So instead, Julia thought up a beautiful new plan which consisted of getting french fries and Frosties through a Wendy's drive through. It was my first time getting a Frosty, I believe. I'm pretty sure this isn't what teenagers have in mind when they think about the "new experiences" they'll have in college, but I'm pretty pleased with it. After that fun little excursion, we headed back home, planning to go back to the storage place at a later date in the week. 

I'm a little embarrassed, you guys. I cannot remember what I did Thursday night. I've tried looking back on Facebook, my texts, my chat history, my tumblr, other people's tumblr, EVERYTHING. But Thursday night is just a GAPING BLACK HOLE in my memory. So I'll move on to Friday.

I assume that on Friday morning I woke up in my bed, and not in some random ditch somewhere since Thursday night is not something I can recall any memories about. And although I have no memory of that night,  I'm guessing it wasn't so crazy that I repressed it, but rather so boring that it was not memorable (in the very literal sense of the word). So, Friday I woke up probably around 11 or 12. I know that I went to Commons alone but then sat down with Keenan and Fuller, and talked about whether we wanted to partake in Holi day or not. When Keenan and Fuller left commons, I migrated over to a table with Ned, Julia, Ashleen and Taylor. Julia was making a chocolate milkshake, which made me want a chocolate milk shake. And then Ned wanted one too, so Julia made one for him. Then Taylor was jealous of all of our milkshakes, so Julia got up and make another milkshake for Taylor. I brought up the Holi day celebration and Taylor and Ashleen said they were going. So my decision was made. I wanted to partake in Holi day. Then quite a few of us went over to Sarah's room to bid her adieu and chatted her up for a bit. By that point, the time was getting close to 5 o'clock, which was when the paint and water extravaganza was going to occur. Barbara let me borrow a white shirt to get dirty, we headed over to commons to get a snack, and then went to the Holi day celebration.

Add a bit more diversity, and this would be a pretty good college brochure picture, eh? 
 
After that, I (unsurprisingly) took a shower and got dressed in some clean clothing. Some of us then met up at Commons again to eat, drink and be merry. After dinner, we all went over to Evan Binder's room to hang out, and then went over to see the dirty version of the musical "Into the Woods" (The name was changed to "Into Her Woods" for the dirty version). It was quite a spectacle. A lot of sex (including non-graphic bestiality) , drinking and a lot of nudity. Next it was time to amble on over to V1 for a debate (for the most part) party. I had a nice time, as I often do. I chatted with Vic and then Taylor for a bit, who got a little tipsy and became a very entertaining conversationalist.
As it got later, I decided it was time to leave the party. I went over to Pgill to print out some music for my performance for Ronjstock and then went to sleep. 

Saturday! 
On Saturday I woke up early to get a light breakfast, print out some more music that I forgot to print the night before, and then practice for Ronjstock. Then it was 11:45, so I headed over to "The Ronj" (our coffee shop) and at 12 o'clock I performed my set. The first song I started out with was "You and I" in which Jillian accompanied me in so that we could have a bit of harmony. The song I ended with was called "Bisexuals in the Bathroom" which is a song based off of the night I once blogged about. Remember? The one where a friend of mine had sex in a bathroom a few feet from me? Anyways, it was a hit even if I made a few mistakes. The overall problem with my performance were that it was a bit windy, so my sheet music kept on getting blown around. So then I would have to chase around my sheet music. Another issue was that I had the beginnings of a cold, which didn't totally ruin my voice, but still made it phlegm-y and made my voice sound quite a bit worse. Couple that with my anxiety about performing in front of people and my low self-esteem, and you get a performance that (at first) I was completely unhappy about. But after some kind words from friends (which to be honest, I'm still skeptical about regarding the ingenuity of the comments) I became more pleased with my performance. Either way, I've got my foot in the door when it comes to performing at college, so I might do that a bit more next year. 

After that, I went back home to work on my Russian Film homework. Then I grew bored of productivity, so I hung out with Colin for a bit, watching the 2012 UEFA Champions League Final between Bayern Munich of Germany and Chelsea of England. It was a heart-breaking match. Colin and I were rooting for the loss of Chelsea so that the Spurs wouldn't be knocked down to the Europa League. The game went into penalty kicks and it was tense up to the very last second. However, Chelsea won. Disappointment abound. 

Saturday night was a pretty tame one, but a nice one. I just spent time hanging out with friends, resting and just being generally awesome. 

Sunday morning I got a call from a friend and talked to them about some seriously weighty subjects. Sometimes I forget how many upsetting things happen in this world and how lucky I am to have such a wonderful life. I'm not trying to brag or anything. It's just important to remember to be thankful blah blah blah, all that stuff. I'll talk more about all that deep stuff next post when I do my overview of the year.
So after my chat with my friend, I went back to my computer to calm down a bit only to find out some even worse news. On Saturday night, my friend from debate Evan Dube, while studying abroad in the Shetland Islands, collapsed and died. Evan was one of the sweetest, kindest, smartest guys I've ever known. He was a fellow nerd and intellect and his death was a tragic one. Tomorrow Jill and I will be performing "Into the West" at his memorial service. We chose that song because it was the song that was created for and played during the credits of "Return of the King" (Evan was a big fan of The Lord of Rings) and the lyrics are about passing on into a new life. 
However, on Sunday there was an impromptu gathering where a large portion of the Bates population coalesced. We had a moment of silence and then people came up to the podium to tell stories about Evan. It was nice to hear about all of the funny and kind things Evan had done during his time at Bates. 
So then it was late Sunday night, and the next day we had a Russian Film test. However, a lot of the debaters who were close to Evan emailed our professor, and she allowed us to skip Monday's class and take the test later on in the week. So Monday was technically a part of the weekend as well. 

On Monday, I slept in until around 11, studied and worked on my power point and just sort of sat around for a while. Then I went to get lunch with a few of the debaters. After that, Taylor, Julia and I borrowed Amy's car again to actually get our storage space, which is when we found out that people hole up in their storage compartments or run businesses from there. Luckily, it's a rare occurrence and does not happen at this facility...or so they say. Anyways, after that Julia treated us to another Wendy's run, and we listened to some excellent music and just rocked out with the windows rolled down. 
When I came back onto campus, I went to an academic building to work but was soon texted by Colin asking me to come down to the puddle (Bates' very own pond). I found him dripping wet in smelly pond water smiling like a goof. He had gone to the pub crawl as Jay and his friend has dressed up like Silent Bob and they went to each pub destination a few minutes before everyone else and smoked cigarettes, being super sketchy as Jay and Silent Bob are want to do. The people that understood the reference (not me until he enlightened me with youtube videos) apparently thought he was hilarious. Anyways, Colin's keycard access had not been working at the time, so I let him into his house and he got cleaned up. After that, I went to commons with friends, and then at dusk I practiced the memorial song with Jillian in the quad. It was weird, people stopped to listen to us and liked our music. So that's nice. After that, I went back home, then did some friends some favors (I am a favor machine, you guys. But I'm running out of kindness so be weary.) and then went to sleep.

On Tuesday I woke up, went to class, then went to John's room where Jill and I practiced our song and tried to get some commentary on how the song sounded from John. Then we listened to Taylor and Colin's radio show. We then dispersed and I went back to my room. I then received a facebook message from Colin in which he complained to me that his room smelled horrible and could not find the source of the smell. I was then enlisted to help him find the source of the rank odor that befouled his senses. After a bit of searching we found a very gross bottle filled with the remnants of a protein drink and a lot of mold. Colin took that out to the bathroom to clean it and then came back with the realization that the contents of the bottle was the worst odor he had ever smelled. At this point, we thought the Mystery of the Malodorous Mess, the Puzzle of the Pervasive and  Pungent Perfume was solved. However, the smell did not dissipate. But we gave up for the time being because Sammy had arrived back on campus from his trip to Saudi Arabia. We had dinner with him and he recounted the crazy tales of his adventure. He showed up pictures and all the nice trinkets and memorabilia he brought back from Saudi. Then Colin and I, having stopped off at Milts to buy some Frebreze, went back to his room to once more try and solve the Case of the Caustic-smelling Crib, of the Foreign and Fetid Fumes, The Investigations of the Insalubrious Insence. I could go on all day. So anyways, we tore apart Colin's room to try and solve for this putrid predicament. In the end, we decided that even though the smell had not dissipated, the Source of the Sour Scent must have been the bottle, and that the lack of ventilation in his room was the reason why it still smelled. But with the combined efforts of Frebreze and my fan, we got the room to smell pretty normal. Also, Colin tidied up and vacuumed his room while we put his place back together. So. . . silver linings? After that, I finished my power point and headed off to bed. 

Wednesday (today!) I woke up at 11, got a quick breakfast and went to class, where I presented my power point and took my final. I think everything went pretty well. The fact that I've only gotten As on my past quizzes and essays makes me think I'll be fine. Anyways, then class was done, so Babs, Amy and I (the last to finish the test) tried to go to Commons. But it was pouring out, and there was a really cute puppy in one of the classrooms, so we decided to wait out the rain. Well...no, no we didn't. Eventually we decided we'd rather be rained on and get food than have to wait any longer. So we trudged into Commons drenched (I mean, I had a raincoat on. So I was okay. Always be prepared!). After that there was a final BP round where Ben and Alex (From University of Guitar) won the whole thing, and Ben got top speaker. I made a lot of good Guitar puns. So many, it'd be hard to *pick* which one was my favorite. I know, I'm a *major* nerd but why not share my humor when I'm so *capo*ble of doing so? Look at all these jokes I can *string* together. Pretty impressive, eh? Oh no, have I *struck* a *chord* with you? Don't mind me, I'm just a *minor* irritation at worst. Okay, I'm done. I think. 
So yeah, now I'm at our game night party dedicated to Evan Dube because he was big on games and not too fond of drinking (and tonight is Throwback night, where all the seniors go back where they were housed freshman year and drink a lot. I mean A LOT.) So I'm going to go be social now. 

Love you guys,

Nicole 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment