Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nicole's Breaking the Rules

I'm going to go through my week briefly, with no interesting theme or clever segues.

Thursday (see, I wasn't kidding about the lack of segues):
On Thursday I finished an Environment and Society essay at the last possible minute, printing it out 20 minutes or so before class. A new experience for me, to be sure. And my essay was quite a mess. Today I get it back. I do not want to see the score I received. After Environment and Society I had debate. I decided to watch instead of actually debate. It was fine. 


Friday:
This last Friday was the beginning of "Parent's Weekend". Being Harry Potter, I did not have any parents to visit me. Instead, I met other people's parents. I met Jack's dad while I was hanging out with Jack during his weekly radio show. We talked about college, where we lived and music. Jack's father has a mustache. Jack's father is cool. After that, I studied for Chinese, took a Chinese test, did some homework and had lunch. All in all, a very good day.

Saturday:
This is where the fun begins. On Saturday I went to a debate held to impress the parents of the Bates' students. The best debaters did their thing. One of the debaters, Colin, who had an excellent rebuttal, later commented that during his speech I was smiling like a goof. I suppose this shows how entertained I was by the debate. Seriously, guys. Debaters are the coolest. 
Saturday was also the day that the season finale of Doctor Who aired. I watched it with Victoria. It was a bit confusing at times, a bit sad at times, and very entertaining. After my Doctor Who watching experience, I did some homework. Then, I got ready for the "Debate Soiree". This is a yearly occurrence in which all of the debaters dress up in fancy clothing, go to the nicest of the Bates' owned houses and drink. The alcohol was actually pretty classy compared to what usually is stocked at college parties. Of course, I didn't drink. I was the one with the water bottle, playing the drinking game that was only fun if you had to actually drink water ("Nicole, you have to drink." "Oh nooo! Hydration!!!"). One of the debaters, named Jarron, made fun of me for not drinking. But he got really drunk and started hitting on the president of the Debate team, Ian (who is straight). It was an interesting experience. I had fun at the party. I made a friend. No cops or security busted us. So that's good. Then, I walked back to my dorm and went to sleep. Yay.

Sunday: 
On Sunday I did homework, got invited to have tea with Colin (the debater), had tea with that friend, and had an excellent time. He lives in a "suite" which houses four single rooms and a giant "living quarters" with an awesome sitting place (it's like a bed) that overlooks the football field. Colin has very interesting roommates. Witty banter ensued. 

Monday:
On Monday I took a Chemistry quiz. I got the first 4 questions right, and the fifth question fairly wrong. However, due to the fact that each question was worth a lot of points and the professor graded kindly, I got an A. Yes. Nicole got an A on a Chemistry quiz. In college. I'm proud and astounded as well. I also got back a paper I wrote for my FYS class. I got a B+. So that was sad. Lastly, I had debate again. It was a workshop day, and we learned how to write cases. Then all the debate team shuffled over to Commons and I had a nice conversation with my friends Taylor, Colin, and John. John's full name is John Goodman. Mhmm. That's what I said.

Tuesday:
On Tuesday I had a three hour Chemistry Lab in which I worked with highly concentrated acids and Lead. It was scary, and tiring and awesome. Tuesday is my extremely busy day, so from there I had a Chinese class, had lunch, squeezed in some homework and studying between classes and then went to my Environment and Society class. Then I did more work and studying, went to a Chemistry study-help-thing from 8 to 10, went to the Library to print some things out, wen't back to my dorm and then did a little dance about being done with Tuesday.

Wednesday:
On Wednesday I had Chemistry, which was fine, and then proceeded to go to an animal shelter for a FYS field trip. The animal shelter was so fricken nice. It was like a pet store, but not corrupt, capitalistic and puppy mill associated (No offense, Rachael?). Haha. There were SO MANY KITTENS. Let me explain to you in scientific terms how the cute factor affected me. The ratio of kittens to non-kitten felines was so great that---AAAAH THEY WERE MEWING AND TRILLING AND POUNCING AND STICKING THEIR PAWS OUT TO POKE AT YOU. It was heart breaking. After that, I went to my Chinese class, took a quiz (Aced it. Like a boss. Of a Chinese company. Who knows Chinese. And would thus know how to ace a Chinese quiz.), had lunch and then did a lot of work and reading. I also got an amazing care package from my mom that was filled with chocolate, sees chocolate, Trader Joe's bars, a light up wand (that makes noises!), a picture of my family and glow in the dark silly string. The box that contained all these things was covered in pictures of characters from Harry Potter. My mom is the best.
 Then, at nine, I went over to Colin's dorm again and we had tea and talked about life while his roommate conspicuously smoked pot in his room. We also pretended to be pirates and sneaked into Colin's other roommate's room and stole a box of Cuban Cigars, which I so intelligently pointed out were illegal. But no one seemed to care about that fact. I got back home after 1 am ("Oh my lord, Nicole. What has college done to you?") and felt like a college student because I was doing everything a college student should get to do.

The end. 

- Nicole 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome Wednesday. I suppose I forgive you for posting late (; jk. I love keeping up on your adventures, and I agree that is an awesome care package.

    ReplyDelete