Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Technically I'm Still Being Productive

Derek and Rachael, you will finally truly
deserve my love once you understand this.
Hello, sojourners of the American education system (Specifically college. Tertiary, my dear Watson). I have decided to write my blog post early, although it may not seem early to you. You see, right now it's Tuesday night. Well, not RIGHT as you read this. No, now it's Wednesday. For you. But it's not. Not for me. Because it's Tuesday. Hoorah! Writing is like time travel! Timey Wimey, anyone?

Anyways, the reason why I am writing my post early is so that I can focus on studying for my midterm on Wednesday. So even though I technically should be studying for it right now, I'm still being productive because eventually I will have to post a blog entry. Onwards?

I'd like to focus my post on my fantastically amazing debate tournament experience at Harvard. If you find debate boring, we can argue about why you're wrong later (See what I did there? Of course you did, you're quite clever). We'll start with the beginning of my epic journey through debatedome, Friday. So on Friday I woke up, went to Chem, did some homework, went to the greenhouse to water some plants (the greenhouse has an excellent 280 view of the college campus), went to my dorm to pack for the Harvard Tournament, and then went to my Chinese teacher's office to take my Chinese quiz. I did quite well on the quiz. You could even say I did 了. Well, you can't say it, but I can. Yes, I am aware of how haughty I sound. Anyways, after that I picked my travel bag up from my dorm and headed to the parking lot. 

I would now like to take a moment to comment on the confusing nature of Maine weather. Friday morning it was below freezing. It was a bone chilling, teeth chattering, heaven cursing cold. And then at eleven thirty it was about 75 degrees out. People were basking in the sun and wearing dresses. Excuse me, weather, but if you're going to be miserable, be consistently miserable. That's all I ask for. Alright, back into the story.

So a group of novices (those are new debaters), Cat (my AESOP leader, and director of novice affairs for Debate), and Colin (I believe he has been ranked the 13th best debater in the USA. He's also my friend. The latter is more impressive, right?) piled into a van and drove a few hours to Harvard. We bonded on the drive, and I was given my rapper name (My rapper name, by the way, is Coclearium. It's Latin for spoon. More specifically, "snail spoon". A spoon for extracting snails from their shell. Yes, that is what I want to be associated with. Why do you ask?). We rode "The T" to Harvard (Southern Californian says: Mass Transit? I do not understand. Does that just mean a lot of cars? Like a MASS of cars?) and then started to debate. My debating partner was Evan, who is a varsity member. So I let him sort of take control on the first day so I could get my bearings. Also, I was scared. On the second day I led a debate case (my favorite one) and we won the round. I'll give you the general "thesis" of the case we ran:

"This House believes that Prince Charming should be prosecuted for sexual assault when he kissed Snow White." 

Or something like that. Anyways, it was unfathomably fun. Oh goodness, it makes me smile just thinking about how well we proved our points. There is an exceptionally gratifying feeling associated with attacking the opposition's points while simultaneously questioning their moral values. Rich, I think debate has led me to understand  you more as a person. Anyways, after the first day of the debate, I crashed on a Harvard student's futon while the other debaters went in search of a party. Surprise, surprise. Nicole decided to stay in, study for a test and then go to sleep. The second day, after another debate or two, a gaggle of us went to get Mexican food in Harvard Square. The burrito I bought was quite good, and I got to eat it at a small park in the middle of Harvard Square. It was a pleasant lunch. Although it was made a bit less pleasant by the Jarron's gory commentary about his sexual exploits. I tuned most of it out (I have already been deemed the "innocent one" so whenever someone is about to say something less than clean, Colin and his friends go "Ear muffs, Nicole." and I am forced to cover my ears. We all know I'm not that innocent, right? Right?!?!). 

After the debate tournament was over with, we drove back home, stopping at a Thai restaurant on the way back. I wasn't hungry so I didn't have anything, but I tasted Colin's Thai iced tea and it was excellent. It sort of tasted like Boba tea (which I admit is not always associated with the happiest of memories for me, but is still quite good). So we got home, I changed into something more comfortable, and then went gallivanting off to my AESOP reunion party. Before I left, however, I stopped in at my floor's glow-in-the-dark rave. It was crazy. My floormates are crazy. Anyway, the AESOP party. Drinking games are fun, even when you don't drink. I like Chandelier and another game that is a strange variation of beer pong. OH! And there is this game called "Get the F*** out!" that is the most hilarious thing I have ever played before. When played with the right people, it is a wonderful experience. I'd try to explain the game, but it's too amazing for words. Also, I  just really don't want to type out the rules, and I'm sure you (Derek) don't really care (Derek) about the game anyways (Derek).  

Sunday I studied for my Chemistry test. Monday I took the Chemistry test (it was fine), did class stuff, made two BEAUTIFUL videos for my sister's birthday (The singing and ukulele playing is horrible, but the substance is comedic gold, if you don't mind me saying. And you don't mind. They're on my Facebook page. Watch them. They're excellent, I swear.)  and hung out with Colin. Tuesday (Today! Well, sort of.) I had a Chemistry Lab, took a Chinese quiz, did class stuff, and then hung out a bit with Jack, Ashleen, Owen, and Colin. And then I went to my dorm and pretended to study, but instead I ate Sees chocolates and watched Youtube videos. Then when I realized I wasn't being productive, I started to write this post. Which is what I'm doing right now. Well, not RIGHT now. Because I would have already posted this post by the time you're reading this. But I am writing this post right now, I swear. 

I miss you all very much. I've found a couple of debaters who want me to play Catan with them, which is exciting. But they'll never give me as much wood as you guys have in the past. Did that joke make you laugh sheep-ishly?  Well, I should probably call it a Knight. Sleepiness just crashed over me like a ton of BRICKS.  Hmm? Yes, those are Catan puns. Aaah, I can't pull any WOOL over your eyes . . . ORE can I? Quite CLAYver of you to notice these jokes all relate to Settlers. Yes, I realize the puns are not that good, but it's imPORTant to at least try and make a few Settler puns, even if they are a bit sh-City. 

Alright, I'm done.

Bye!

5 comments:

  1. We have a game called "F*** your S***!" I wonder if its similar? I quite enjoy it.

    Those puns are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I like that attacking people and their moral convictions makes you understand me more as a person. Because that's essentially all I am. THAT'S ALL.

    I laughed at the earmuffs thing. I would take that up myself, but then whenever I was within 100 feet of you you'd have to hold your ears to your head. Which wouldn't be fun. Cause then how would I attack you and your moral convictions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well executed Catan puns and the debate story was worthy of the Ivy League (;

    I don't understand the first picture, though; do Derek and I not understand that? I always used to show up late to your house, which to me seems very non-linear and timey wimey. Because I always showed up. Just not on time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doctor Who, Rachael. Doctor. Who. /Disapproving head shake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich, I know you're more than just that. You are a spectacular human being. So are you, Rachael. Even if you don't watch Doctor Who. <3

    ReplyDelete